We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

We have become an airborne species in a big way

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 0

A transportation planning engineer has created fascinating visual representations of aircraft flight paths across the planet.

They certainly make you realise where the centres of population and commerce are.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I suppose that that's as near as we can get to a photograph of a carbon footprint in action.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Most of the SE England ones seem to be over my house!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

For an ornithicalogical comparison, take a look at the Sooty Shearwater's flight paths:

http://talontours.com/the-animal-kingdoms-longest-migration-award-goes-to-the-sooty-shearwater/

Like this post
mole1944

Likes # 0

For those interested type flightradar24 into your search engine, see all the commercial aircraft going on there merry way around the world

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

mole1944

That's useful thanks.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Standing in my garden ajcent to the Thames in north Kent at nine most mornings with a clear sky I see squadrons of planes flying at max cruising height. Flying from east to west one thing is sure they are not going to deposit their cargos here in the UK - unlike 70 years ago. I wonder where they are from and whence they go.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

SparkyJack

"I wonder where they are from and whence they go."

They are almost certainly inbound to Gatwick or Heathrow. At your location they will be between 20,000 and 25,000 feet and descending. Some aircraft will fly overhead above 30,000 feet, and they'll probably be from Norway, en-route to Gran Canaria, or from Mainland Europe inbound to Birmingham, in which case they'll be at 30,000 feet and descending. Your part of the world is a busy place for overhead traffic.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

Good link FE, like mole1944 I use Flightradar24 but Radarbox24 looks promising.

For anyone living interested in shipping movements this is good http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

FE I am surprised to learn some of those high flyers are bound for HR / GW being only 30 miles or so from either.

I recall last year I was inbound from Tromso to HR and we were stacked for 20 minutes or so because of a thunderstorm over HR. We were cruising up and around the Thames we had ra good view over all the sights- mucher lowe I thought than 30k

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...