We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Locked threads on Beta forum

john bunyan
Resolved

Likes # 0

On my PC all the threads on Beta testing forum have a red lock symbol to the left. Is that because of a Spam attack? If not it seems odd.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Nothing odd about it.

I started out with

'The beta forum is for tests that go on for a certain time and then finished. Once a test is over there's no need for the thread to be kept open.'

but then I remembered that the FE introduced an automatic lock for threads with no new posts for some time in order to reduce the chance for spammers to attack that way.

Dig into the past of this forum and all the threads are locked.

Like this post  
john bunyan

Likes # 0

fourm member

Thanks for the explanation. Your young memory is better than mine, as I could not recall FE's decision re auto locking.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

fm' is there another one for removed posts

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

I left my post like that to show that the right answer didn't come to me immediately.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

As far as I remember Threads are locked after 3 months have passed since last post.

bumpkin, another one what? Once FE removes a post (or a Thread) it's gone.

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

Try WD 40 for locked threads.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

john bunyan

Most security programs run their own beta version and if you want to try them you have to go to their sires and download them from there.

I know that you use Avast I think.

Avast Beta

Most threads are now locked after 3 or 4 months on any forum you can still open them you just cannot add to them.

Like this post
bjh

Likes # 0

John Bunyan.

I may be wrong, and only the F.E will know all, but I noticed some spam on the beta threads some months back (28/11/2012) linking direct to rather a nasty malware download. Informed the F.E. and F.E replied he'd tidied up and, when I looked, all the threads were locked.

F.M. is right about the auto-locking but, in this case, I think the silver mouse was at work last November ;)

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

bjh

Fine; I had forgotten and it just seemed odd to find a forum with all threads locked. You and fm have explained it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...