We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Tories look at limiting GP visits?

spuds
Resolved

Likes # 0

Feeling rather bored this Sunday afternoon, I thought that I would have a quick browse through the internet, and came up with quite a number of articles that have started circulating, regarding further possible changes or consultations on GP visits. This is one such article http://www.talktalk.co.uk/news/uk/articles/tories-look-at-limiting-gp-visits/89372.

If you want to find other newspaper reports about this, then use the above title heading for quick reference.

Personally I am not bothered with Tories or any other political party, my main concern is how this will effect me and many others, as a regular user of the GP visit service.

What's your views or comments. Will it effect you?.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

There appears to be a problem with the link I provided, but if you use the title header in a Google browse, there should be quite a number of stories on this issue available.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

For may first 73 years I probably saw a GP at the most once in 5 years. Due to a historic sunbathing problem, I have had 4 operations in the last year, so have seen the GP more often. To limit visits would be a total nonsense, except for the minority who go there for a cold or a sore throat or some other minor issue.

What irritates me is that if I recall my youth, my family never seemed to visit a GP - he would visit the home. Now, if you are seriously ill out of hours, there is little chance your GP practice will have a doctor you know to visit you, relying instead on contractors. No wonder A& E departments are full. GP's have had a big pay rise in recent years, but their productivity has plummeted.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

They cant make it any longer.Took me 3 weeks to get an appointment.

Phoned them up last week as I had a slight emergency problem and there were no Doctors available for that day.

I said I really need to see a doctor rather quickly and was told to try the 24 hour accident and emergency unit down the road.

In an extreme case I suppose I could have bled to death but as it happens it cleared up later that day.

But did they care.Not one bit.

You get into see the doctor he speaks to you for about 5 minutes if you are lucky and spends the rest of his time on the computer. probably looking up Google to see what your symptoms are.

What in the name are they up to.There was a time that you could trust them with your life and now I just don't trust them at all.[Maybe a little bit.]

And those are the ones that are supposed to be running the NHS. God help us.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

GP Advice as follows for what ever ails you:-

Stop smoking

Stop drinking

Lose weight

Go home it's a virus, it'll pass in a few days

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

I despair I really do. This story started in the Independent which says 'The document is buried on the website of the Conservative Policy Forum'.

I hope the Independent never goes into the funeral business because its idea of 'buried' would see coffins left above ground.

It took me less than a minute to find the link to the Word file and another 15 seconds or so to download it.

The Independent says;

'A cap on the number of times patients can visit their GP in a year is being considered by the Conservative Party, it emerged yesterday.'

The document, which takes the form of a survey with people being asked to give the usual 1 to 5 answer from 'strongly agree' to 'strongly disagree' says;

'There should be no annual limit to the number of appointments patients can book to see their GP'

The same survey has a number of other statements to be rated including;

'It is right that all NHS treatment is provided on the basis of need – including for those illnesses worsened by lifestyle choices such as alcohol intoxication and obesity'

'Open competition within the NHS is unnecessary'

'Open competition within the NHS is undesirable'

Funny that the Independent didn't headline its story 'Tories opposed to competition in NHS'.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

trouble is people with chronic illness need the most visits and they tend to be the most in need cash wise too

Like this post
sunnypete

Likes # 0

Reminds me of Scrooge..."reduce the surplus population"...

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

One of the truths about life is that you don't give the NHS a second thought until you need help. Then you want quality help quickly, and for as long as required.

I can see that a government might view some form of GP visit rationing as a money-saving thing, but it only takes a few seconds thought to work out that such a system can never succeed. People who ran out of visit 'credits' would simply start turning up at A&E departments, or perhaps not visiting the GP when they should, in order to save a visit, running the risk of making something that was easily treatable into something much more serious - and more costly to the NHS.

We can all relax - it's a non-starter.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I must be lucky - If I ring my surgery in the morning, I'm asked if it's urgent or not. If the former, I have always been seen the same date. If the latter, within 2 days.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

Same as you onthelimit1, a call around 8.30/9.00am has always got an appointment before 11.30am same day if there is a need. A non urgent appointment with a specific GP in the practice could take 2/3 weeks though.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features