We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Bikers are out this week end.

Ex plorer
Resolved

Likes # 0

Nice day and the bikers are out enjoying themselves, in the past nine years I have picked up three motor bikers who have fallen of in front off me.

One was caught in a cross wind, second braked at a Te junction and was unfortunate to catch a metal grid cover in the road.

Third going round a corner slowly and as he leaned over caught a patch of diesel with the bike sliding and going under land rover coming in the opposite direction. None of these bikers were speeding.

None hurt to the point of been whisked of to hospital.

I have come across one fatality with two bikers hitting head on, on a corner, and two further biker accidents involving cars all within 4 mile radius of where I live.

The total is very high over all, 50s I think over a 30 mile stretch of hospitalized cases.

I hope not to see or here the police or ambulance go by this week end and they all enjoy the dales.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

A month late, just like the spring.

The traditional biking season is 1st may to 31st october to coincide with a 6 month tax disc. It's bad form to shoot any bikers out of season during the winter rebuild months.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Anyone remember the Ace Cafe on the North Circular, We all used to meet up there when I was biking. No helmets in those days just jeans and a T shirt. Falling off was quite common and I broke a leg once, some others were less fortunate. Riding was great fun at the time especially on a sunny day. Still tempted to experience it again sometimes but todays traffic and my lack of experience with modern bikes turns it into a suicide mission.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Quickbeam, Not proper bikers then, what's a tax disc:-)

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

I had a full licence and insurance, anyone with a tax disc had to be a copper.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I have some older friends that went to both the TT and Manx Grand Prix in the '50s. Apparently at that time you had to buy a Manx visitors tax disc which inconveniently (or very conveniently for the Manx government)ran out just before the September races requiring a new one to be bought!

They also used to drain the fuel tanks of bikes so that all the bikers had to push to the nearest filling station from the ferry and pay a premium price for fuel in Douglas.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Last time I rode a bike was a very long time ago when I was in my late teens (over 40 years ago) I'd gone to college and a friend gave me a lift home on his Triumph.

Next day at college found out he had took a corner and the fairing on the bike had caught the ground and sent him straight into the path of a car.

Last time I ever went on a bike.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Four lines and a giant picture is a very poor report for you to direct us to fm.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"todays traffic and my lack of experience with modern bikes turns it into a suicide mission."

Rubbish.

Started in 1956 and still got my BMW, normally taxed for twelve months.

Arthritic thumbs make delicate clutch control a bit more difficult these days, but time to give up is when you swap leather for oak!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Not anytime soon I hope:)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites