We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Council chiefs not backing HS2 plan

carver
Resolved

Likes # 0

Started reading this enter link description here and then started seeing just who are against or have reservations about this high speed link, never mind the other shortfalls in money.

Personally I can not see the benefits will be all that much, as Wakefield Council explains enter link description here it could make thing worse for them and when you look at it from their point of view the money they could spend locally would improve things far more.

It's not just Wakefield it's other councils voicing concern all along the route.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

One of the planned stops on HS2 is just down the road from where I live.

All you can read in the local papers about the route / station is people and councils saying negative things about it. NIMBYs

Trot back about 180 yrs and you would have heard all the same things from when the railways were first built. 20yrs after that people were clamouring to buy shares in the railway companies.

The two cities either side of the planned station /route are both miffed its not coming through them.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I'm in favour of having as many high-speed rail links as possible. Rail travel can be a pleasurable experience if the track and trains are up to modern standards.

I traveled from London to Provence last year using first Eurostar to Lille and then the high speed TGV train down to Provence. It was an absolute dream of a ride both ways - hammering through the French countryside at 200mph in the sunshine whilst relaxing with a cool drink takes some beating.

We can have the same thing here (minus the sunshine) if we just take the bull by the horns and build the tracks.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Like Fruit Bat, I live 'just down the road' from where this is being planned.

Seems to be a similar case of when the M1 was being considered and built, and the 'not in my backyard brigade'. All sorts of comments have been made from individual's and 'experts', and many environmental and 'scenes of natural beauty' have been mentioned.

One particular local MP as special interest in this, because it would appear that the project might to be far to near his backyard and possible present commercial interests.

My own view about this, is neither for or against at present, because the information I have received so far, is becoming confusing. But then again, my father said the same thing about the M1, and made a financial killing in the process.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Another Government department says it will not help the recovery as stated by the PM and has been underestimated by at least 3 billion and may not be given the go ahead.

They want to spend all that on high speed trains and yet they want the public to pay tolls for widening work on the A14 at Cambridge.

What happened to all the widening of the M25 and M1 they put no tolls on those and yet they want to charge for the A14 if it goes ahead.

Like this post
sunnypete

Likes # 0

Wonder where FE travelled from to get his train at London,certainly not the forgotten West Country...

Like this post
sunnypete

Likes # 0

Wonder where FE travelled from to get his train at London,certainly not the forgotten West Country...

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

"Wonder where FE travelled from to get his train at London,certainly not the forgotten West Country."

Down here in Somerset they pull the trains with a couple of Massey Fergusons.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

I've just checked the price for two of us to travel to London and return the next day first class. A round trip of 400 miles.

£730.00

I've not been on a train for over fifty years and there's the reason why.

Like this post
N47.

Likes # 0

Mr Mistoffelees

That's funny :-)

Like this post
N47.

Likes # 0

I see it, as usual, benefiting those in London. It will be quicker and cheaper for those working in the city to travel in by train than cross the capital. All the home counties are saturated with commuters traveling in by train so this will expand the commuting distance. Your average 3 bed semi house in the better parts of London would by quite a mansion sized residence in the North.

The other advantage for business's in London is that they will be able to travel to the other northern cities faster than they could by plane.

It would be nice if they matched the capital investment in HS2 with a house building program.

Like oresome

I would not be able to pay that sort of price to travel to London and unfortunately do not have an expense account to pay for it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'