We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Intrusive advertising

Al94
Resolved

Likes # 0

Don't like the new ads with sound which have appeared this afternoon on every visit to the forum. Seems the sound just starts without even a mouse over! I always thought that was a big no no in terms of website design.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

This as happened before, but was corrected due possibly to certain advertiser's over active use on the forum?.

On this website I use Google Chrome and a number of anti add-ons, and that seems to result in no problems with advertising.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

On this website I use Google Chrome and a number of anti add-ons, and that seems to result in no problems with advertising.

Me too, Chrome and adblock is definitely the way to go!

Like this post
pabby

Likes # 0

I only use Chrome for this site, also. With javascript disabled there is no delays in loading.

If they stopped all the heavy ads and tracking software that slows the site down to a crawl,I would let the adverts load.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

XP,IE8, use Spywareblaster 5.0 and have turned off Javascript and get no intrusive adds ... on a speedy broadband connection now, instead of dial-up.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

Now have Samsung Galaxy S4s flying up my mobile screen under multi coloured balloons that's a first.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Win7/Firefox/ABP never any problems with adverts.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

I don't really appreciate being made to jump out of my skin by some guy flogging cameras, or whatever it was. Nor do I appreciate having to then look for him in order to make him go away.

Yes, I'd gladly pay a nominal yearly fee to shut him and all other advertisers up.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

Or Win 8 thanks, Mr Egan.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

Great! I access the site by mobile if away at weekends, this morning woke up wife by whoever that voice on the site is so it's on the mobile site along with the S4 with balloons and the William Hill full page ad that needs 3 clicks on the X to make it go away. Now have a grumpy wife. This has got ridiculous this weekend, PCA sure knows how to drive users away from the site.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I agree and am leaving this site for a few days to hope it gets sorted out. Maybe the FE can e-mail us all when it has gone...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...