We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Your best energy savings tips

simonjary

Likes # 0

Hi.

We've just updated our Energy Saving Tips How To.

I'm sure there are some forum users with fantastic electricity and heating savings tips.

What are your favourites? We'll add the best to the article.

Thanks!

Simon

Publisher, PC Advisor

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 1

A water heater jacket is easy to install and can save hundreds of dollars on your utility bills over the lifetime of your water heater.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 1

Reinstate the Net Curtains ~ gives you Triple Glazing on the qt

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

Our electricity prices have just risen 18% today!

Use more deodorant and use electric shower less!

Buy a clothes line and ditch the tumble drier.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

A194 "Buy a clothes line and ditch the tumble drier" If you have children and the weather we have been having that's a no starter.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I manage to dry clothes after washing by using either the clothes line outside or a maiden situated in the spare room near a radiator with the windows open. I have never used my tumble drier since my wife died. But keep it handy because one never knows when it will come in handy.

I have heavy curtains inside all door areas, which draw across the door when it is really cold. Also heavy curtains on all windows.

Wear layers of clothes in winter or any time it gets cold. If it's really cold don't be afraid to wear ladies tights beneath your normal clothing. I always found they were ideal on the golf course. Oh yes as most heat escapes from your head wear a woolly hat. Even wearing a hat indoors is beneficial in the winter. After all who is going to know?

Use as little hot water as possible when washing dishes etc. I always save up a day's dishes to wash at one time rather than after every meal. It's the little things that mount up when saving. "Look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves".

Switch off all your gadgets overnight. Just put enough water in your kettle for what you are going to use, if you are having a cup of coffee then just put a cupful of water, and maybe a touch more in the kettle. Why boil water you aren't going to use?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Rub a bit of Amber on a Nylon jumper and create your own electricity for free, also helps to keep you warm in the process.

:0)

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

Howd'y' get a maiden? Did you kill the dragon or the knight or both? ;_))

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

No! I bowled her over...

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

Drill a small hole in the fridge door to check the light goes out when you close it.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

On a windy day, don't use your car for travelling around. All you need is roller-skates, or a skateboard and a sail.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 review: Great if you like big, expensive phones

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015