We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Mining on the Somme

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I just came across this fascinating programme on the miners that dug the famous Great War mines nearly a century ago.

It's the first time I've come across anything in detail on the underground front other than a fleeting mention of it in passing. It's well worth a watch.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

The BBC did a few of these programs a year or more ago, and in the case of the above it is a repeat, which is still well worth watching, especially about how people managed. Isn't there a continuation episode next week?.

Not sure if this particular program is on DVD, but many have been made available via this means.

On a personal note, I was give a collection in volume form 'The Great War - The Standard History of the All-Europe Conflict',that were published in 1915 and followed on from there, while the conflict progressed. Leaving my previous property, the whole collection was lost for some reason. Last year I visited the local Salvation Army charity shop and found two parts to that original volume. Treasures to behold and now to pass on to the future generation, after my departure.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Just watched it Quickbeam, very interesting programme thanks.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I missed that the first time around which is unusual for me spuds.

Like this post
Cymro.

Likes # 0

I have it on Sky+ Miss out tonight so my evening is sorted.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Don't forget there is a program (2nd part) on Channel 5 at 8pm this evening WW1's Tunnels of Death - The Big Dig

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps should have also mentioned, there will be a follow up one hour later (5+1) on Freeview and later in the week.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

The stonemasons' painstakingly chiselling out the large memorial crucifix to bear the large sword [near the end of tonight's C5 programme] was very poigniant.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I'll watch later that on the i5sPlayer, or whatever they call their iPlayer.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

Is this it Mining the Somme

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'