We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

AA patrols to get some police powers ?

HondaMan
Resolved

Likes # 0

The thin end of the wedge[ Story Here ]1

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I think it might be a good idea if they were to just report offences such as lack of a genuine road tax disc. But to do it without the knowledge of the offender. If the AA staff start reporting drivers/owners for such things as not having seat belts fastened or phoning whilst driving, then all hell could break loose with maybe some one lashing out in a temper.

If I was an AA man I would tell the boss that it is someone else's job.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

I can envisage a conflict of interest.

If you're a AA member, may be let off with a polite warning. A member of the RAC and marched off.

Take out their plumbing services and get a caution etc.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Why would any law abiding individual object to this.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

It's not new.

Police powers to delegate have always been there, as the link makes clear.

That is why, at your local agricultural show, you can be moved on by a steward.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

The AA & RAC have for years made it clear that they won't recover a vehicle without a valid tax disc, so it's unlikely that they'll come into direct contact with the dodgers.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

The AA & RAC have for years made it clear that they won't recover a vehicle without a valid tax disc, so it's unlikely that they'll come into direct contact with the dodgers.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Recently, whilst getting off the bus in downtown Glasgow [southside], I noticed two men who looked like policemen - I think they are called community wardens - getting out of a hastily parked vehicle [three feet from the pavement ... it was an unusual-looking car with a telescopic swivelling camera mounted on the roof], procede to 'capture' and arrest a man whom they spotted smoking a cigarettte inside a telephone kiosk.

Very scary.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

Saw a police car today, speeding in a 30, one brakelight not working ad driver using mobile phone!

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Aitchbee, "smoking a cigarettte inside a telephone kiosk." That is because someone else may wish to use it. I don't like the smell of strong perfume so that should be banned in telephone kiosks also. No problems around here though as all kiosks are smashed up so plenty of ventilation.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Well when they can't afford proper police men/ women to do the job then any body will have to do.

Next it will school crossing wardens inspecting tyre tread depth on cars parked at schools.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added