We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The worlds first website and worlds smallest stop motion film.

Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

The first webpage, which went live on 30 April 1993, has been recreated by researchers at CERN.

Website. Not an ad in site.

The world's smallest movie, which is quite simply amazing.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

rdave13

"I'm missing something here."

What you're missing is a degree of insight into the way that Aitchbee's mind works. Don't fight it - do what the rest of us do, and go with the flow.

Like this post
mrwoowoo

Likes # 0

Aitchbee hasn't answered yet as he's still waiting for the page to load.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

I still use dial-up - not for the internet but for banking. My bank still has it's business banking via a dial-up connection.

It is surprising how many modems are still available.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"My [trusty] dial-up connection will cease [regretably] on tuesday"

On Wednesday morning I can guarantee there will be NON, JE NE REGRETTE HB!

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Forum Editor your 11:01 yesterday post was something which I wished I had written, your perspicacity impresses me.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

The faster refreshes of this website [with broadband] will give me less 'thinking time' for my erudite posts - I knew there would be a down side :o]

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

That's a downside?

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

I still get the shivers thinking about "dial-up" loading time back in 1998 and looking at the page as a picture presented itself, I could make a cup of tea and nearly drink it and the thought of downloading a movie clip was some thing to dream about. A floppy was some thing to snigger at until you got a PC.

Now I get 40 meg, my TV is hooked up to the internet, I have other PC's and Laptops connected on wireless, a smart phone with more computing power than my first, second or even fifth PC.

If anybody can think of any thing else that has changed so much in such a short time I can't.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Quickbeam [and others] - as you know, I am overplaying the loss of dial-up and move to broadband. It'll be a whole knew experience [I good one, I hope] ... and BTW your link doesn't seem to work, but I can see an Edith Piaf toon comin' up, n'est ce pas?

Like this post
m800afc

Likes # 0

I was lucky enough to be sent an evaluation BBC Beeb computer at work. Round about 1995-6 I opened an Argonet account and used the Voyager browser. Members were called Argonauts. I took part in an early forum which some may remember call the ZFC, The Zimmer Frame Club. My favorite port of call was alt.rec.competitions. I could partially automate my postcard entries by printing directly on to poscards to a pre-detirmined format. I won many competitions, but sadly no life changing big wins. That was a lifetime ago, when things were much simpler.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?