We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Would you ride in a driver-less car?

LastChip
Resolved

Likes # 0

No catch - the question is in the title.

I was reading some research today and wondered how members here would react to that question.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

Not sure about that. I am sure though that I would find it very disconcerting, especially if my first experience was out on the public road rather than on a test track.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Not so much a car, but a war machine being developed by the Americans. A large vehicle that can be guided by satellite, and remotely controlled from far distances.

Not so sure if it was on the BBC's motoring program Top Gear, but James May undertook a test to see if he could outpace the vehicle over various terrains between two given points. Both vehicles reached the destination, using various routes, one governed by satellite and remote's, the other by a human's own on the spot travel calculations.

I think it was referred to "as things to come?".

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Yes if the technology had been proven. Not so sure about a plane though which I believe has just been done.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

I sometimes sit in the passenger seat when my wife is driving - probably close to the experience of being in a driverless vehicle, I suppose!!

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Some kind of over ride would be essential should it malfunction.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

I would presume we are talking about 'complete' driverless situations, meaning all the cars on the road are all driverless?

It could hardly operate if some had drivers and others not, think of how accident 'at faults' would be decided??

If there were 'over-ride' facilities could drivers just jump in and out of control? Recipe for disaster I'm afraid.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

If there were 'over-ride' facilities could drivers just jump in and out of control? Recipe for disaster I'm afraid.

No, it would have to be an emergency device only. As you say it would be very difficult to combine those driven and those driver-less. May happen in the future though.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

bumpkin - Aircraft without anyone onboard have been around since at least the early 50's and were used as targets. Now drones are used for reconnaissance and bombing. However there is a pilot controlling the aircraft remotely. The recent report about a passenger aircraft over gilded it a bit.

Dockland Light Railway is driver less.

Bit different with cars though as they can vary route too much. However a computer with collision avoidance is likely to be better than some of the idiots I see driving.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

"No, it would have to be an emergency device only"

Would that be the 0.5 of a second before you hit the other car head on.

Or would that be just after the screen and voice told you that due to a programming error the road it had just entered is really a train track.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

My car already has an emergency braking system which is supposed to work in town traffic by braking if get too close to the vehicle in front. I've never known it to operate even though it is on. I suppose I am too careful a driver to get too close. I hope I am anyway.

I think we all sit in the passenger seat and apply the phantom brake when someone else is driving. So maybe if the driver-less car had a brake pedal which did nothing but travel up and down with a bit of resistance when applied, we would be happy.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...