We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The (Pink) Elephant in the A and E Department

fourm member
Resolved

Likes # 0

A consultant anaesthetist once told me that, during his previous shift in a city centre A & E, he had been called in for 12 patients. One a drug 'mule' suffering an overdose after leakage and the other 11 all alcohol related.

Yesterday's extensive coverage of the problems in A & E made no mention of the load created by problems caused by drinking.

Are we still in denial when it comes to the harms caused by alcohol?

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Blame the government if you want to add alcohol related problems to A&E woes.

They told us that longer opening hours would mean that people could just savour the taste of alcohol for a bit longer but shouldn't mean an increase in usage.

And surely you have to trust what the government of the time says to you.

Might be an advantage if some doctors actually worked longer hours in their surgery's for the money they get from us so people didn't need to go to A&E in the first place.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Are we still in denial when it comes to the harms caused by alcohol?

Of course we are. The cost to society is huge when you factor in all the areas of human life it has an effect on.

Much easier to blame societies ills on smokers and bring in ridiculously pointless legislation aimed at deterring smokers.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

Consideration must also be given to the growth in population that we have had in the last few years. Locally to me we have had a large influx of Europeans who have needed all the facilities that we have developed over the years. The problem is that we have built housing for them but have not increased the core necessities so overloading of areas like A&E have become commonplace. This has also been aggravated by the selling off of the majority of one local hospital for housing development leaving just enough for consultant clinics and a 'Minor Injuries' centre in place of it's A&E. Waiting times for doctor's appointments have also stretched locally. Unless the facilities are expanded to match the increase in population the waiting times are just going to get longer.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

"They told us that longer opening hours..."

This isn't the whole problem these days. The youth culture now is to get as drunk as possible on a night out. It usually starts with pre-loading with large amounts of drink before even leaving home and drinking even more while out usually involving downing numerous 'shots' of spirits in quick succession as well as the lager etc.

In my opinion anyone ending up in A&E due to over-indulgence in alcohol should be charged for any treatment they receive.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

'Blame the government if you want to add alcohol related problems to A&E woes.'

What that amounts to is blaming the government for over-estimating the maturity of the population.

BT is right to say that many young people only drink to get drunk. I'm not claiming that getting drunk was not a part of a night out when I was young but it was not the sole aim.

If it was a good night out you might end up having too much but you didn't set out to get drunk at the start of the evening.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I agree with BT that we should be charged for treatment if it is alcohol related. I also think we should be charged for misuse of the 999 phone system. Also of course the calling out of rescue teams and equipment for mountain/cave type rescues. If you indulge in these as sports then your insurance should cover costs. If you are just walking in mountains on a whim and get caught out in bad weather, then you should be charged for being so stupid. If your insurance doesn't cover that then it's hard cheese.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

You have to change the culture whereby if someone gets drunk its funny or "cool" and is completely acceptable. The culture of drink driving was changed and it should be possible through a combination of education and penalties to make binge drinking become unacceptable.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

"we should be charged for treatment if it is alcohol related"

In theory that would be acceptable, but it would open doors to all sorts of other 'chargeable' conditions. Smoking, eating junk food etc etc..

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Woolwell

Completely agree, changing the culture is the only way.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

That need for a cultural change needs the sort of thing that happened with drunk driving. The driving limit has become a standard for describing alcohol use. If a pedestrian walks off a cliff, the news reports will say that he was found to be X times the drink driving limit. That sort of thing reminds people about the harm of drink-driving.

Any report on A & E departments should talk about how much of their work is drink-related.

The stories, yesterday, included reference to problems with getting doctors to work in A & E. That was the ideal opportunity to ask if they don't want to spend their time dealing with drunks.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?