We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

70th AnniversaryToday

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

of the Dambusters raid.

I'm off to see the flyover at Derwent myself despite massive predicted crowds and road jams as I can't believe the Lancaster is likely to be around for many more major anniversaries. So the train to Bamford station and a 4 mile walk is the only way to get near to the Ladybower series of reservoirs it today.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Hope the weather stays fine for you, I used to know some one who was a navigator in those Lancaster's in the war.

Spent many hours in the club playing snooker just listening to some of the things they had to do and it made me wonder just how they even got to some of the places in the middle of the night, when he spoke about the other air crew who never made it back he could still remember every name even after nearly 60 years.

So enjoy and if you get some decent pictures may be you can post them.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Quickbeam if I lived nearer I'd accompany you. I'm a lancaster nut and was fortunate to be given a guided tour of NX611 by Ron Enmeny, have also seen the lanc at Hamilton - never to be forgotten, the planes and the crews!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

One of my biggest regrets is that during my 40 years I never got to play with the dams bomb.

I got to mess about with some of Barnes Wallis's inventions, like Grand Slam and Tallbuoy, and even flew in one of them, the Wellington, but Upkeep was declassified too late for me.

I've seen one, of course, but museums tend to look askance if you approach an exhibit with an armourer's tool kit!

Like this post
mole1944

Likes # 0

Bruma as a Lancaster nut are you aware that we think another Lanc is on its way to becoming to flying condition apart from the BBM on and the one in Canada, it's been kept by a Lincolnshire farmer and as it's been grounded for years the airframe hours are massive, as far as I know it's not far from being airworthy. I have FSX and the Lanc addon,i know it's not the same as the real thing but starting those engines even on a flight simulator raises your hackles in excitement.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

mole1944 that is the one I was shown around, NX611 at East Kirkby. I am following the progress with bated breath! I actually met Fred Panton, the farmer, it was he who give me permission to enter the lanc. with Ron Emeny.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

Hope it goes well. My Mum (WAAF) and dad (RAFVR) knew Guy Gibson. My dad was a Lancaster navigator, shot down by a German night fighter (KIA)just inside Holland on 23 August 1943 - 207 Sqn, RAF Langar on way back from Berlin. A friend (Dutch) regularly visits G.Gibson's grave - he was KIA in a Mosquito, also over Holland. Many will think of 617 squadron today and thank them for what they did. Only 3 are left alive, I believe.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I've just got back an hour ago after leaving the house at 9:00, I missed the train back by a minute and had to wait 2 hours for the next stopper at Bamford in the High Peak!

There were thousands there, I couldn't believe it that so many would turn up in the middle of bloody nowhere to see and hear 4 pitch perfect Merlins fly by. We got 3 passes by the Lanacster and Spitfire, and 3 by a pair of Tornadoes. So all in all it was a good day out.

There can't be many more decades left that it can do this, I certainly can't see there being a centenary flypast.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I have been to the Mohne Dam a few times in the past and have talked to descendants of the locals about it. They were terrified at the time. However they were also proud of the fact that they had the dam up and running in just over a month. Electricity was restored even quicker. A big percentage of the people killed were Russian women POW's working in the area.

The biggest advantage was the propaganda effect on the British people. It was a welcome boost to see pictures of church steeples sticking up out of the water in the flooded valleys etc. However it seems a big mistake was made by not following up by more traditional bombing methods on the dam sites.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"...not following up by more traditional bombing methods on the dam sites."

Barnes Wallis himself wanted the foundations to be bombed by the high altitude earthquake bombs once the cushioning effect of the water was gone, an accuracy of several hundred yards was thought to be good enough for them to have needed the dams to have been rebuilt entirely.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

I wonder how many lancasters actually survive to this day more or less intact? Off the top of my head I can only think of 4, the BBMF, the farmers one, the one in canada and the one at hendon.

Anyone know the whereabouts of any more?

WTM

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite