We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Something we already knew. Petrol prices rigged

passing through

Likes # 0

click here

Will they raid the offices of the power firms next?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

How did we already know? Some people may have suspected it, but to say that we already knew is a bit silly.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Knowing something is true without evidence, or even in the face of evidence to the contrary isn't exactly a rare phenomena. Just take a look at religions around the world.

WTM

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Pricing in an oligopoly with a product with little brand differentiation almost always looks like fixing is going on.

That makes it very difficult for investigators to discover those instances where fixing has occurred.

Still, since 'everyone knows' the petrol price is rigged you wonder why the EU is bothering to spend money investigating.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Lets hope if they do find that the prices have been rigged that those company's involved should be made to pay severely for their actions.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Cartels are nothing new particularly within the EU. Cases.

WhiteTruckMan. Well said.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

To pursue WTM's analogy, simply believing there is a god does not create one.

The EU cannot fine the oil companies on the basis that it believes there has been a cartel. Finding evidence is much more difficult and, as we know, previous investigations haven't been able to do that.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

What do they call price fixing, is it called the "Going Rate"?.

Here in the UK there are many Watchdog's set up as protector's of the public. Have you ever noticed how long any investigation to possible complaints takes, and what are the usual outcomes?.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

spuds

If you and I sell string in the same street there is very little chance for us to have different prices. String is string.

If I increase my price the day you increase yours who can say that we'd agree to do that?

If I come to your shop and ask you how you feel about the price of string and go away with the impression that you wouldn't mind the price being higher is that price fixing?

Pricing investigations take a long time because they are very complex.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

fourm member

You appear to be giving me a lecture on the subject :O)

Like this post
michaelw

Likes # 0

forum member "Still, since 'everyone knows' the petrol price is rigged you wonder why the EU is bothering to spend money investigating."

The EU are investigating because the Office of Fair Trading made a weak attempt to investigate earlier and came up with nothing. As you say it's going to be difficult unless phones are tapped otherwise how do you obtain evidence regarding phone conversations. The only way evidence can be produced is is there's a record somewhere, like emails or letters. They can ask questions, of course, but if ranks are closed we'll carry on paying over the odds for fuel.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote