We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BBC Repeats

Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Just had a response to a Freedom of information request from the BBC about the amount of repeats across their channels in the year 2012-2013.

BBC 1 Network there was 33.1% and at Peak viewing times it was only 8.4%,I suspect the low figure because during peak times there is little else on but soap-opera type programs.

BBC 2 Network 54.4% and Peak 31.1

BBC 3 Network 85% Peak 71.6%

BBC 4 Network 78.1% Peak 55.4%

I have to ask what does the BBC spend the licence fee payers money on and what is the point of the BBC iplayer cost when you can see whatever you want repeated on the terrestrial channels anyway?

I still await responses from the commercial channels but they tend to use all sorts of reasons/excuses for not answering a Freedom of Information request.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

"I have to ask what does the BBC spend the licence fee payers money on" answering questions from you.:) lol

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Don't forget if it was shown on another channel it's not a repeat.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"...if it was shown on another channel it's not a repeat."

Of course it's not...

Like this post
amonra

Likes # 0

How else do you expect to fill the four channels 24 hours a day without having repeats. If you look at the Freeview line-up, over a hundred channels, all full of repeats or utter garbage. Financialy it is just not possible to provide a full service 24/7. Also, where do you find the programs ?

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

"If you look at the Freeview line-up, over a hundred channels, all full of repeats or utter garbage."

That pretty much sums-up my thoughts on television these days.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Personally, I find repeating programmes a good thing, often I only hear about something after it's passed (I'm not a TV addict, and tend to be selective anyway), so, for me, it's good to have repeats. Do we need completely new stuff 24/7? Of course not, and could never have it anyway.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

The iPlayer and other stations equivalents have replaced the need for 3rd and 4th stations dedicated to repeating what we've missed.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

'I have to ask what does the BBC spend the licence fee payers money on'

That is the wrong question. You should be asking what the licence fee would need to be for all output to be brand new and shown only once. I do know the answer except that it is much higher than people would be willing to pay.

But, I'm with spider9. I find repeats helpful and the fact that content may be available on iPlayer doesn't mean you don't need repeats. It just adds to choice.

Of course, I wish they wouldn't repeat 'The Voice' but that's because I wish they didn't show it the first time.

In other words, I don't think anyone has an objective view about repeats. The BBC can repeat things I like to watch as many times as it wants.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I would like them to re-Tweet the 'Tweet of the Day'!

As it is it goes out at 05:55:00, which is just after I've gone to bed

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I'm also in the 'repeats are often useful' camp. I certainly don't find them a problem, I wouldn't want to have to pay for the additional cost of having fresh-to-air output all the time.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features