We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

bird feeders

sunnystaines

Likes # 0

we have always hung bird feeders from the fruit trees to attact birds to the trees hoping they will have any bugs in the fruit trees as afters. this has worked well till last year when the birds discovered ripe figs are very tasty.

now looking to move the feeders away from the trees and have one of those poles with multi feeders as we enjoyed watching the many different birds.

was thinking about mixing the feed from peanuts to different mixes in each hanging feeder. any advice on suitable feeds.

the birds we get are various coloured tits, a jay than wait underneath for any dropped nuts also robins,thrush, blackbirds scour underneath for leftovers too. get wrens and various finch's but they do not use the feeders.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Best advice probably from the RSPB

Feed the birds

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I only feed wild birds from about November to March, longer this years with the delayed spring to stop them starving. I don't bother at all once the natural summer bugs appear apart from stale bread.

But I have a small pond with a pumped water fall that attracts many bird species for watering and bathing which does the job of attracting them into my garden. Plus frogs and toads that moved in with the first two years of digging the pond out. You don't have slug problems with frogs and toads in the garden.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I've got 3 seperate bird feeding stations - basically 3 broom-handles slotted into 3 x 2metre long metallic poles with 3 different varieties of foodstuffs in each container.[ It makes refilling and cleaning easy. ]

I put seeds/grains in the top containers, nuts in the middle and fat-balls on the lowest level position.

I also use 2 very large plastic flower pots positioned on a wall at the back of my flat [no drainage holes] as water reservoirs which the crows like, and which I hope to use to water my plants during the dry summer months. [wishful thinking]

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

That sounds like a very well thought out urban flat bird attractor HB.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

QB ... I would like to expand on it [a little] ... but it's a communal area ;o)

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

We feed all year round and I don't worry about following the advice about different feeds for different birds. We get a huge variety of birds including some that make my 'twitcher' friend green with envy.

One important thing is to regularly clean your feeders especially in the warmer weather. Greenfinches, in particular, are prone to disease and it can be spread by dirty feeders.

My friend suggested keeping a bucket of mud in the garden to help house martins with nest building but, as we have three nests already, I think they are getting their mud from somewhere.

Of course, if you're going to attract birds to your feeder you have to expect to attract sparrowhawks to the birds.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Bird feeding has become a problem for us, ever since Ring necked parakeets moved in to our neck of the woods. Attractive to look at, these birds are an absolute menace as far as bird feeders are concerned. They love nuts and seeds, and will hang on the feeders in clusters, devouring the contents before moving on.

They are classed as an indigenous species now, so I guess we're stuck with them - we'll be lucky to get any cherries from our two trees this year if last year's performance is anything to go by - there must have been a dozen parakeets in a tree on one memorable afternoon.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Can they be lured away with pieces of eight?

Like this post
mole1944

Likes # 0

Nice one Quickbeam , but I expect the police would become involved as it could be classed as bribery.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Please if you are going to feed the birds do it all year, they get into a habit of going to the same place to feed and if you stop they then have to start in a different area looking for food and competing with other species.

You only need a couple of weeks with bad weather and it could disastrous.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...