We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What is it with Councillors behavour?

Strawballs
Resolved

Likes # 0

Some Councillors think they can do what they want

Story

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

And so do some members of the public

cold coffee poured over head

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Some members of the public also think that they can do what they want.

We have no idea how much harassment he had faced.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Reading both links I'm afraid my thought is 'What is it with people trying to blame this on the poor mayor?'

As I've made abundantly clear, I think little of Nigel Farage but, frankly, I'd applaud him if he verbally abused that idiot who follows him around with the anti-nuclear banner.

It sounds as though Mr Ferguson has been faced with a similar obsessive so I'm not at all surprised he rebuked him.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Really to think that this man has been following him and harassing him then all the Mayor does is use a bit of bad language is not extreme.

In fact all it shows is that George Ferguson is a very mild mannered man who also has his limits.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I'm always astonished that some people are stupid enough to think that when a person enters public life he or she somehow becomes public property, and must sacrifice the right to have any kind of personal space, or to occasionally show irritation towards anyone.

This story illustrates the point perfectly; my sympathies are entirely with the Mayor of Bristol, and I'm surprised he showed such restraint. In similar circumstances I would have used far more than one four letter word.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 1

I don't think it's stupid for people to expect those who choose to take on public office to behave with some decorum in public situations - even if provoked.

Not sure I'd fully trust the judgment of anyone with dress sense like that!

Like this post  
Strawballs

Likes # 0

I'm sorry but there are some jobs that you need to show self control above and beyond that of others and Councillors is one of those jobs. There are steps they can take without resorting to this kind of behavour!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Well, take your pick politicians fighting

and Prescott's punch (when he was Deputy Prime Minister)

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"There are steps they can take without resorting to this kind of behavour!"

Such as what?

Somebody follows you wherever you go,he gabbles away at you, and doesn't let anyone else have the chance to talk to you. Out of sheer desperation you tell him to expletive off. It's hardly the worst crime in the book, quite frankly. I doubt there is a single person who, subjected to the kind of treatment the Mayor was getting, could put his or her hand on her heart and say that they would not ever lose their temper in such circumstances.

What 'other steps' do you suggest could have been taken?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......