We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Car Insurance use a solicitor instead?

al's left peg

Likes # 0

Hi Guys,

I have a question which I would be interested to know if anybody has any experience of.

I have heard an advert on the radio whilst driving my car to and from work lately which goes along the lines of this.

" If you have an accident call (name of solicitor/legal firm) before you call your insurance company, and you won't lose your no claims discount" "We will deal with your insurance company for you and settle your claim for you"

How does this work? I thought you had to use your insurance company in the event of a claim, and their dedicated claims department. How would a solicitor differ from your insurance company, and how would this affect your relationship with your insurance company and seeking insurance in the future?

I have not any reason to make a claim, I just wondered what this way of using solicitors would benefit the motorist, rather than using the insurance company?

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Just another con I would imagine.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Don't. Use your own insurance company, that what you pay for.

You can easily find claims being unsettled for 2 or 3 years after an incident leaving you without your due no claims bonus being applied in the meantime.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

I can see a very good reason for involving a solicitor. Very often, certainly it happened to me, an accident involving two vehicles with each driver claiming they were not at fault is settled between the insurance companies on a "Knock for Knock" basis. Both drivers lose their no claims bonus which probably suits the insurance companies!

Of course, anyone who goes to a solicitor is probably going to be asked if they suffered whiplash or other injuries. Now that's a well known angle for them on a no win no fee basis!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Don't. Your own insurance company has a legal department to serve your own and their own interests. A third party legal leech has it's own interests at heart.

Don't think for a minute that any bump claims don't come to the attention of your insurer if someone wants to make money, your insurer will know about it.

If you've suffered any injury your own insurance will deal with your interests for you.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

There are no free lunches with insurance claims...

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I think in these cases the claim chasers will be working on your behalf with your own insurance company, rather than the other party's, to ensure you don't lose your NCD on the knock for knock agreement already referred to.

Most insurance policies have small print insisting that the actual claim is handled only by them.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

And if you are the innocent party, it's now cost effective to fit an in car video recorder for providing evidence to your insurer.

I've been running one for a few years now and wouldn't not have it. In my case it's paid for itself on what would have been knock for knock settlements.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"in these cases the claim chasers will be working on your behalf with your own insurance company,"

As does the other parties solicitor. So who pays the piper?

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Taff™

I've always understood that it was a no CLAIMS discount. In other words, it didn't matter which insurer ended up paying you'd made a claim so you lost your discount.

I believe that some policies are now no payout discount rather than no claims it is one of the things to watch.

I also think there have been policies that removed the discount if you'd claimed directly on the third party, assuming they found out about it.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Wasn't some insurance companies found to be selling on customer's information to solicitor's and claims companies, after an accident had been reported?.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room