We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Selective unexpected mains power outages ... computers are first to 'conk out'.

Aitchbee
Resolved

Likes # 0

At home today about 3:30pm whilst watchin' c4 racing, my light in the kitchen flickered for a tenth of a second and also my TV was off for about ten seconds, then came back on; but my 2 computers had switched themselves off. I switched my computers back on and luckily no problems. The same thing happened again at 3:50pm. Again I switched the computers back on and also the TV this time.

Later, at about 5:30pm, I went over to my local bookies and was [half] surprised to see that nearly all of their screens were 'off-air', they said it happened at about 3:30pm.

Finally [I hope you are all sticking with me here], when I looked up at the big wind-turbine high up on the hill ... it was steadfastly not moving but it was [and still is] very windy. [I reckon the computer that controls the tubine was also 'knocked out'.

Question: Are mains connected computers always the first 'to go', when there is an 'outage' ?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Although it may have been a coincidence for the turbine to be stationary, I was a-thinkin' that the turbine's mast's rotational movement was controlled by a mains-supplied computer, as the big turbine blades always appear at different angles on the faraway hilltop horizon depending on the wind direction and strength.

BTW - the position of the blades have not moved at all since yesterday, I have just had a look.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Aitchbee

I understand.

It would seem very bizarre for a power generation unit to rely on external power to work but, since this is wind power we're talking about, logic does not apply so you might be right.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Years ago I bought an Anti-Surge Bar, which worked well, until I unthinkingly plugged a Fan Heater in and it overloaded.

When I started to look around for a replacement, my Specification had widened. A switch on every outlet, etc. Because of this the cost had risen and I had just read an APC Advert for their Basic UPS. It was about treble the price of what I was going to buy but it set me thinking.

Eventually I did not buy the basic model but one with a potential for my Set-up to continue working for about 18 minutes.

It's only had to do its bit once in the last 2 years, but I'm happy with the sense of security it brings.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

I used to install communications equipment for the power generators and the power distributors.

Neither relied on their own power to keep things going!

Batteries, diesel generators and off site supplies were the order of the day, often with duplicate cable runs taking different routes to their destination.

The trouble then with micro-processor equipment was, if the changeover from one supply to another wasn't extremely smooth, it could crash and be out of service anyway.

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

In this case there may be no connection between the turbine not working and your power cut, however all wind Turbine require an incoming power supply to operate.

It is required activate the primary control circuits and other control and monitoring systems etc, no incoming power = no output power, simple

Incidentally it is a fact often overlooked when power output is quoted.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

... it must have been too prohibitive to call out a suitably qualified turbine technician to fix the damn thing [monstrosity] ... as it's the weekend ;o]

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

'Incidentally it is a fact often overlooked when power output is quoted.'

Why does that not surprise me? It is just another example of the con that is wind power.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Had a short break a couple of weeks ago. All 5 computers tripped, but restarted OK. Not so lucky with the CH programmer - refused to turn the CH on even though the clock time remained correct. Had to fork out 50 quid to Screwfix to buy another.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

onthelimit1

We had that a few years ago. We had a spell of short power cuts during upgrade work on the network and the controller fried after a couple of days.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do