We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Selective unexpected mains power outages ... computers are first to 'conk out'.

Aitchbee
Resolved

Likes # 0

At home today about 3:30pm whilst watchin' c4 racing, my light in the kitchen flickered for a tenth of a second and also my TV was off for about ten seconds, then came back on; but my 2 computers had switched themselves off. I switched my computers back on and luckily no problems. The same thing happened again at 3:50pm. Again I switched the computers back on and also the TV this time.

Later, at about 5:30pm, I went over to my local bookies and was [half] surprised to see that nearly all of their screens were 'off-air', they said it happened at about 3:30pm.

Finally [I hope you are all sticking with me here], when I looked up at the big wind-turbine high up on the hill ... it was steadfastly not moving but it was [and still is] very windy. [I reckon the computer that controls the tubine was also 'knocked out'.

Question: Are mains connected computers always the first 'to go', when there is an 'outage' ?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Brain not working well this way but you can buy an extension lead that gives you power surge protection for computers and less likely to do any damage to them.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Thanks Jock1e - but what about the bookies' screens [displaying the odds] and the big wind turbine stopped turning this afternoon? I would have thought they have would have had surge protection installed in their computer systems for such occurences.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Surge protectors should work whatever the power source, they do not know it is wind-turbine.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Aitchbee

[and the big wind turbine stopped turning this afternoon] To Windy maybe or stopped for maintenance.

Wonder what odds the bookies would have given you for that to happen.

Outage failure, probably a digger that dug up the mains or rats chewing their way through the cable.wonder what odds the bookies would have given you for that to happen.

You seem to be at the bookies quite often hope you are one of the lucky ones.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Jock1e - although their 20 [or so]information 'computer-controlled laser-display screens' were blank, they still were still glad to accept my bets for the evening horses ... number tens to win ... fingers crossed ;o]

PS. The big wind turbine I can see from my back window, is still, 'not for turning'.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I'm not an expert on Wind turbine technology, but I wouldn't have thought the fact that the blades are not turning is in any way connected with your local power cut. More likely the turbine has been stopped for maintenance work to be carried out, as Jock1e suggested.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

The reason computers, and some other devices trip out, while others don't. is that they are held "on" by the equivalent of an electronic relay.

Once the power is off, even for a millisecond, the "relay" trips, and the power goes off.

Like this post  
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

That sounds a very feasible reason, morddwyd.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

As I work in an area that is prone to outages and brown outs all our PC,s have small UPSs on. On last Friday the office sounded a bit like living in a disco full of canaries - we had that many problems the all three phases tripping out at different times - sometimes it was the lights and others it was the power. Smoking holes in the pavement are regular occurrences as the mains cables fry, I counted six joints in about 5 metres of cable before they eventually replaced the whole length.

With most of your bookies screens not working the turbine is redundant. QED

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

There's no connection between the turbine and the power cut. That's just one of those coincidences.

When my wife was a child her father tripped over a cable and all the lights went out. He cycled to the depot and got them to send someone out. After a quick check the repairman asked for a shilling and put it in the meter.

There can be many reasons for a turbine not to be running including, it would appear, profit.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......