We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

'Magic' pens to hide scratches on cars

onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Keep seeing these advertised in the Saturday Telegraph. I can't see how they can possibly work 'on any car colour'. Anybody tried them?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Had a look at this one in Amazon and the reviews are not great.

click here

There are others on there at £2.99 and the reviews for them were worse.

It seems they are used for covering metalic paint.

The original cannister of T-Cut seems to do a better job.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Most cars now have a clear 'varnish' coating on the top of the coloured paint, this is quite easy to re-finish with a pen of clear lacquer. as long as it matches the gloss finish the colour shows through and doesn't matter.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Hmm. I do have a scratch which goes through the colour and into the undercoat. Don't see how one of these pens could cover that. Seemed to good to be true!

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Items like this will only work if the scratch is very fine i.e. not deeper than the top coat of paint. The correct colour coded touch up paint is the only thing if a deeper scratch and then you have to be extremely careful or you may make it look worse.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

There are firms that specialize in this sort of thing and can match the colour on site but not cheap, it really depends on where the scratch is and whether or not it justifies have the panel sprayed which is the only real solution especially if it is newish car with the lacquer finish.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Most cars now have a clear 'varnish' coating on the top of the coloured paint"

Someone in my family has an Audi that has lost patches of this lacquer. It looks unsightly, and she wants to do something about it. The car isn't in its prime, although in very good condition, and she doesn't want to spend out for a professional job - does anyone know if you can get the right lacquer in an aerosol form?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

FE - I'm pretty sure the original lacquer is two-pack and dangerous to health (hence all the breathing protection required). However, clear lacquer is available in aerosols from the likes of B&Q or car spares outlets example here

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

I have used one of the clear lacquer pens and the initial results were quite good on fine scratches.

The instructions do state that the lacquer has to cure in sunlight. Perhaps this didn't happen with me because the lacquer soon appeared to wash off.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

I do not think you will ever get it right with a DIY job. The lacquer has to be baked on and the whole panel needs to be done is my understanding. I was told this by the chap who repaired my last scratch "thanks daughter" 2 panels £350.00. With this kind of thing you really have to weigh up the cost having it done professionally and the value of the vehicle.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Cheaper than the £600.00 wanted by a main dealer to put things into perspective.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

App cloning: the mobile software industry’s hidden shame

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features