We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Given Good or Bad Advice

flycatcher1

Likes # 0

These days I am loathe to give advice but has anyone received, or given good or bad advice?

Many years ago my Father, a bit of a stranger to me, having recently returned from King's Service in far off lands , walked me to the railway station. I was about to depart these shores and he gave me one piece of advice - Never borrow and never lend.

Sometimes I have failed to follow his advice which has resulted in loss of a little money but the making some good friends.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

My father didn't so much give advice as tell parables. He told a story about being caught in the wrong and how, by coming clean, he avoided much bigger problems if he'd lied and been found out.

I applied that advice many times in business. If we let a customer down, I didn't try and blame the trucking company or say the machine had broken down, I said we'd made a mistake. I've kept big contracts because the buyer said they knew we would always be straight.

Like this post
Ventad

Likes # 0

Before joining my first ship in the Royal Navy Following my "boys" training I was advised never to lend money to any person that asks to borrow money when you first arrive on your new ship as they are the ones who never pay it back. How right this advise was, every ship I joined someone always asked for a loan on the first day and I turned them down , and found out later that in most cases they were asking for a loan to pay of a previous loan.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

I was told by my father when very young "never a lender or borrower be" Words of wisdom in some respects but not very realistic in todays world. He did have a mortgage but that does not count.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

I think the best advice my father gave me was that it is better to be 5 minutes late in this world than 30 years too early in the next.

I often remembered it when travelling up and down the A1, with the majority of cars in the outside lane much too close to the car in front. A slight easing off in speed at the front of the bunch produced violent braking at the rear.

Travelling with the commercials at a steady 56mph was much less stressful and didn't add much to the journey time.

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

I am disappointed with the number of posts. Never mind here is another one.

A friend of mine tells of his Father who lived in Sheffield and volunteered for the "Pals Battalion" in the First World War. All the volunteers and their families and well-wishers were assembled at the Railway Station waiting for the off. As the train pulled out of the station my friends Grandfather, with a stentorian voice, shouted " And don't forget to keep your bowels open".

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

flycatcher1

'I am disappointed with the number of posts.'

I wonder if people were put off by your inclusion of 'given' in your question.

It's a bit arrogant to claim that one has given someone excellent advice and they have benefited greatly by it.

There is a piece of advice I always follow though I don't remember who gave it to me. Only pick roadside blackberries from branches higher than the tallest dog. That's really a variant of don't eat yellow snow.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I prefer the 'don't pick berries below knee height' variant, and leave the listener to figure it out after they've tasted them...

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I have said it before [in other posts], but my GP told me about 8 years ago, to trust nobody. I thought it was a bit strange at the time, but her advice [and her holistic approach to healing] has remained in the back-of-my-mind ever since.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

HB does that mean you can't trust her advice? Hmmm 'catch 22'

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

lotvic - I'm still tryin' to figure out if it was good or bad advice ... I know what you're sayin' 'bout the Catch 22 thingy ;o]

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon, Argos, eBay,...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers