We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What's the point in gun law

carver
Resolved

Likes # 0

What's the point in gun law when you can print your own gun enter link description here and the only part that can be picked up by a metal detector is the firing pin which is just a nail.

If this goes on-line you can't put the genie back in the bottle, it doesn't matter if it only lasts for a few shots, that's all the time to kill some one.

This could be a head ache for airport security.

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

As has been pointed out before, the thing about guns is they need ammunition - control that and you solve the problem. Doing that does not contravene the 2nd amendment in the US and would, I think, solve a world wide problem.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

It is on-line and has been downloaded 100,000 times but most of them wont have a 3D printer to make it.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"most of them wont have a 3D printer to make it."

That's true, but it isn't going to be long before people overcome that problem - the printers will rapidly become cheaper, and there will be those who club together to buy one and start making cheapish, untraceable weapons for themselves and others.

It's a worry, and I imagine that the FBI and agencies in other countries are working to deal with it as far as the internet aspect is concerned.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

wiz-king when Staples are selling 3D printers enter link description here then I don't think price or availability will be a problem for long.

As for ammo, people do make their own.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Why do people seem to rant and rave about gun ownership, and the difficulties of owning or making a gun.

Guns are available, if you know where to look, or have the right material and knowledge.

This particular designed gun is just anther chapter in life, and its not going to change, in my lifetime at least.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

To be totally honest, I wouldn't trust a plastic gun printed on a 3D printer.

The plastic used in 3D printers has, for practical reasons, a very low melting point. It's pretty soft, and in low temperatures it becomes brittle.

In order for this gun to remain in one piece during the test I'd wager that it used a very low velocity round, probably with a much reduced explosive load.

This would be ok for a "Saturday night special" when used in very close quarters, but range and accuracy would be down to flintlock levels...

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

"In order for this gun to remain in one piece during the test I'd wager that it used a very low velocity round, probably with a much reduced explosive load.

This would be ok for a "Saturday night special" when used in very close quarters, but range and accuracy would be down to flintlock levels..."

Right, so if threatened by someone brandishing a plastic gun ask him or her to let you walk away before firing. That should keep us all safe.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Mr Mistoffelees

The victims of "Saturday Night Specials" are generally in possession of one themselves.

I'm serious, the range of these guns is so short you'd be in punching range, so they'll be less effective than a knife, and if used with any normal ammo would cause way more damage to the person holding the gun.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Would you want to fire a plastic gun made on a printer. I would rather keep my fingers.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

I think that this technology is poles away from making anything useful at a cost effective price. No doubt I will be eating my words in in a few years time.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...