We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Do you think David Cameron should

¿ unsure ¿

Likes # 0

take Ed Milibands kind offer and work together to get legislation through parliament and by-pass the backbenchers.

eg

A number of other key policies disliked by groups of backbench Tories were missing from the Speech, including plain packaging for cigarettes, tighter internet surveillance, foreign aid targets, lobbying controls, the power to get rid of bad MPs and minimum alcohol pricing.

enter link description here

Or should he come out fighting, which Keith Mitchell – a former leader of Oxfordshire County Council suggests to get back on track.

enter link description here

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

'Ed Milibands kind offer'

Let's start by saying there is nothing 'kind' about Miliband's offer. He's playing politics hoping to show the Tories as deeply divided. He's not doing it because he believes the policies are a good idea.

If he did think they were good policies, he had plenty of chances to enact them when Labour was in power.

There are three items that concern me though only two of them are on the Telegraph's list. Minimum unit pricing for alcohol would have an impact on the harm caused by this poison and, given Scotland's recent court success, there is no reason to hold back from presenting legislation.

Plain packaging would be a further step along the road to reducing the harm done by tobacco in a controlled way. It is ironic that the tobacco companies keep saying there is no evidence that the packaging affects buying decisions. If that were the case, they could save themselves a lot of lawyers' and lobbyists' fees and let the change go ahead.

The third item I'd like to have seen would be a commitment, either by the Royal Commission the Home Affairs Select Committee called for or by some other means, to review the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971 to find a way to reduce the harm caused by that legislation. (And, as a bonus, make substantial cost savings.)

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I said to my wife earlier this week that I don't know how he is still hanging on.

Then I thought about a replacement and came up with nothing (and I included Miliband!).

Yesterday's speech, what we saw of it among all the football news, did nothing to make me think his position is more secure.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

morddwyd

'came up with nothing'

That's the really worrying part. Ed Miliband's complete failure as a leader is adding to the problems.

A strong left would pull Cameron towards the centre. Because it is not there the only pull on him is to the right.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

That reads like the Conservatives are destined to forever be puppeted to one side or another but to never to be able to control their own direction FM.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

'Never' is a big word and you have to believe that there is hope that, one day, all political parties will be led by people who have the vision and strength to pursue what they believe to be right.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I hate to admit it, but the last one to have that kind of influence died recently...

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

I wouldn't describe 1945 as recent.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"I wouldn't describe 1945 as recent."

Are you thinking of Hitler or Truman, who both died that year?

I wouldn't describe either as "people who have the vision and strength to pursue what they believe to be right".

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 1

morddwyd

I was, of course, thinking of Hitler. People who have the vision and strength to pursue what THEY believe to be right are usually tyrants. Any worthwhile leader will have the support of most enlightened people.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Any worthwhile leader will have the support of most enlightened people."

I think we'll have to disagree here. Any worthwhile leader will have the strength to take unpopular but necessary measures.

I believe in the Michael Winner brand of leadership "Teamwork is a bunch of people doing what I tell them to"!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room