We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

coastal sea fishing

sunnystaines

Likes # 0

never done fishing was thinking about getting a rod and going to a quiet rocky cove on the south coast and try fishing as a new hobby.

but do edible fish come close enough to get caught these days. I can remember very long time ago as a young boy seeing people fishing of sea walls and piers but not seen anyone do this for ages.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Probably best staying away from any area with an Atomic power station."

On the contrary, the warm water near such places leads to good feeding and bigger fish.

"Pike not edible?"

Baked with gooseberry stuffing, one of the few fish dishes which I would have from choice.

It's a dirty feeder, which always makes good eating.

Pike are widely available in Dutch fish markets.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Pike - taste of mud, with bones in it, unless they come from clear water

Like this post
michaelw

Likes # 0

You'll have more fun if you fish from a boat. I used to get about six of us to hire a boat for the day. We used to go out from Littlehampton and catch mackeral, dog fish, dabs and once my mate caught a sea bass, the tastiest fish in the sea. We also went night fishing over wrecks from Brighton. That was the first conger eel I caught. Don't go out if there's a force 6 to 7. I spent the whole day honking up over the side.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

wee eddie

reminds me when i was in hungary was served up catfish which had been caught in the danube river tasted like mud as you described pike.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Any fish, if prepared properly, can cover most palates.

Carp was once a preferred by some societies, and it might remain so today. I wonder how many carp (and other fresh water fish) have been removed from the local pond or lake recently, and the heron or pike was not to blame?.

But going back on sea fishing, its the luck of the draw. Ask the local's, and they might tell you their 'secret' spot and bait?.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

"Probably best staying away from any area with an Atomic power station."

Just don't eat the ones with three eyes!

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I rarely kill freshwater fish, but have eaten pike. Cut it into steaks with bones. Suspend them overnight in a salt water and small amount of vinegar marinade then poach and add a bit of butter and the earth flavour will be gone.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

when i worked in chelsea Lots rd power stn by thames was a big magnet for fishermen not sure why.

had a walk along thames here testerday to find a fisherman to speak about fishing but was none, is it out of season at the moment.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

sunnystaines - I don't know how it stands nowadays, but the 'freshwater' closed season was 15 March to 15 June inclusive on certain waters. Some canal's and still-waters might have no closed season, so its best to check locally. Private fisheries were allowed to set their own rules and regulations regarding closures.

One of the problems nowadays, is the once local fishing areas, where most local's went in the evening etc, have now been taken over by clubs or associations. With that comes the restrictions.

In my own area water bailiff's have been very active with non-licence holders, with some heavy fines being handed out.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

spuds good thing about fishing from the coast no closed season or restrictions as far as i know.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......