We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

coastal sea fishing

sunnystaines

Likes # 0

never done fishing was thinking about getting a rod and going to a quiet rocky cove on the south coast and try fishing as a new hobby.

but do edible fish come close enough to get caught these days. I can remember very long time ago as a young boy seeing people fishing of sea walls and piers but not seen anyone do this for ages.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"do edible fish come close enough to get caught these days."

Oh yes. Go to Portland Bill for a spot of great rock fishing. You can eat pretty well anything you catch, but you wouldn't enjoy some of them very much.

Have a good read here about that and other things before you start. and then browse this

I'm a keen freshwater angler, but I've done a bit of rock fishing, and it was very enjoyable. Safety first is the key thing with rock fishing.

Have fun.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Do watch the tides and the weather forecast. Strong waves have been known to knock shore fishermen into the sea.

Fishing around the shoreline is done right around the SW of England. Portland and Chesil Beach have a good number of anglers. Most harbour walls and breakwaters have anglers but don't take their favourite spot or let your dog (if you have one) eat their bait which one of my dogs did.

If you are in the Plymouth area then the Mount Batten breakwater is used extensively for fishing perhaps due to the nearby pub.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Probably best staying away from any area with an Atomic power station.

I used to cut the heads of and gut them when I was about 7 year old.Don't think that I could do that now.

The heads were great for catching crabs and the odd seagull if it did not sink quick enough.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Jock1e - An area of sea which gets water run off from fields with a lot of nitrates or farm manure or faulty sewerage is probably much more of a problem than a nuclear power station.

Like this post
TopCat®

Likes # 0

The weather is forecast to be on the turn during the latter part of this week, with strong winds giving rise to big waves. I should definitely heed what Woolwell says about the tides and weather forecasts.

Too many anglers of late have been washed away by the unnoticed larger waves that will come, so make sure you fish vigilently and safely.

Tight lines as they say! :) TC.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

fe thanks good links, thanks everyone else too won't be trying for a few months yet, i now know its worth trying from the feedback.

only ever been rod fishing once when i was 12 catching perch in the thames. Here in staines river fishing is popular because of all the pike and many other fish but never thought it worth while as they are not edible. Always eaten a lot of fish prefer it to meat, my fav being butterfish.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I 'reeled in' a couple of tiddlers this atternoon - cockles 'n' mussels - cooked and pickled ... 'produced in Denmark' and packaged in Bristol ... it says so on the jars. I've never tried 'em, but will make a [tasty]change.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Aitchbee - Thank you for your irrelevant insight into your dietary habits.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Woolwell, don't mention it.

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

sunnystaines

Pike not edible?!!

recipes

They are a bit bony - a bit like mackerel but absolutely delicious.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia