We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Ray Harryhausen, visual effects master, dies aged 92

Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I did not know of the man but I can remember being thrilled and amazed at the special effects in the film Jason and the Argonaut's in 1963. Clips of some of his films here.

Today's film goers get all the special effects they need with CGI and the like 40 or so years ago things were a little more difficult but of so exciting to our generation. I must admit I still enjoy the original Jason and the Argonauts of 1963 as opposed to the 2000 version.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

The skeletons fight sequences in 'Jason' must have taken Ray many months to produce, typically - a half second of stop-start action taking a day to produce.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0366063/bio

'Clash of the Titans' was also co-produced by Harryhausen.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

The way those skeletons are animated is creepy as hell, the way they appear to lurch around is superb.

Skeletons.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

That's why they chose to use stop motion techniques for the 1981 Clash of the Titans when newer techniques were just starting. They deliberately wanted the un-nerving dream like visuals that stop motion gives.

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

i agree the jason and the argonauts film is still one of my favourites, did he do a sort of king kong movie as well?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

As far as I know, he invented that technique.

I remember sneaking into Jason and the Argonauts with my elder brother when it as first released aged 7 and being terrified at the skeleton fight scene!

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Those skeletons didn't fool me, I could see through them.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

" They deliberately wanted the un-nerving dream like visuals that stop motion gives."

I vividly remember my Dad had serious nightmares after watching 'Clash' on TV. [after downing 4 bottles of my potent, still fermenting, homemade beer ... (unbeknowns-to-me), that afternoon and evening].

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features