We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Motorway Emergency Phones

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Are they still necessary?

I didn't think anyone would travel without a mobile these days, but this morning I saw someone parked by, and using an emergency phone on the A1(M) Doncaster. I think that must be the first time in more than 15 years that I can recall one being used, you used to see them being used every day if you drove a lot.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

As soon as you lift the phone the operator knows exactly which part of the Motorway that you are at so easier to get a breakdown truck etc to the exact spot.

You may not even know which junction you passed to give proper directions using a mobile.

But like you say it must be about 15 years since I phoned them last.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Before the days of mobile phones. I broke down on the motorway on the way to our holiday destination, I used the EM phone as I managed to stop right next to one and the police were there in less than 10 minutes and the AA in 20.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Not yet irrelevant then?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

...but the odd thing was it was fairly new Mercedes S class.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Two advantages of the emergency phones that I can think of:

1. You don't have to worry about which number to dial. 999 may not be appropriate.

2. You may be in a bad mobile signal area.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I think the fact as stated by jock1e is the one that matters. For breakdowns it would be best to get to the roadside emergency phone and use that. The police and other emergency organisations have your location immediately.

But a mobile is also a must especially for a woman travelling alone. Also of course much better if it is rigged up correctly as a hands free for other types of emergency than a breakdown. (Let's hope we don't go the way of the 999 calls by getting the ambulance out because poor Willy is car sick etc.).

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

My last breakdown service had a 0800 number, which is superb if you're ringing from home, but the price to ring 0800 numbers is still 50p a minute from most mobiles. If you don't have lots of credit on a PAYG handset ringing a 0800 number is a big no-no.

My current breakdown service also has a geographic number, which is included in the minutes allocation on all contracts, and many PAYG networks include a certain number of minutes to geographic numbers before you start using up credit.

It's about time these services realised 0800 numbers are not free from mobiles and they start switching to 0300 numbers which are free on most contracts

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I've got an "Emergency Assist" button in the car which sends a signal to the manufacturer's assistance number (actually the AA).

Luckily never had to use it yet so don't know how good it is. Presumably it simply sends an automatic mobile phone message.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

morddwyd

It sends a text message in a similar way to automated intruder alarms, and the emergency pendants you can buy for elderly or infirm relatives.

The module will also have built in GPS to give your location, which is why paranoid types unplug these systems, as they feel they track your every move, and they can be remotely accessed to tell the "Man" where you are...

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"built in GPS to give your location, which is why paranoid types unplug these systems"

I can only think of serial killers that would think like that!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...