We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What biscuit toppings?

Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Due to errors in treatment for an unpleasant throat condition I can no longer swallow solid food. Although that is not strictly true as I can 'eat' Carrs Cheese Melts. These. But to do so they must be covered with a thick coating of butter (Lurpak) and a topping which is where my question comes in because the second part of the triple wammy is my taste buds have been to a great extent been destroyed particularly those on the back of the tongue.

Consequently I have found that there are very few flavours that I can still enjoy. Marmite is top of the list, followed by a lemon curd and recently I have discovered Brussels Pate.

I did say eat but not eat in the real sense of the word as the third part of the triple wammy is my salivary glands have been severely affected. So these biscuits have to be washed down with a liquid usually coffee.

So I am looking for alternative suggestions to the toppings I can put on the biscuits bearing in mind I have probably tried most things.

Over to you folks.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Fentimans do ginger beer and also the alcoholic ginger beer. Very good brand name I believe.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

You must have to dunk the biscuits in that then...

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Quickbeam. I already do that with my "Dark and Stormy".

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

What dunked biscuits go best with rum then? I can imagine a ginger nut being OK, but a malted milk, yuk!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I don't know if it as been previously mentioned (I haven't bothered to read the full previous 4 pages), but have you considered trying the various dip selection trays that might contain a number of dips that are available from places like Asda or Iceland etc?.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Quickbeam. Those Scottish shortbread type soak up quite a lot of rum. so are ideal, mind you they also soak up a lot of Whisky if that's your kind of stuff. Probably because they are Scottish.

spuds' suggestion about the variety type trays of dips in supermarkets looks like a good idea.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I wondered if maybe ship's biscuits might be your favourite.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Lots of ideas here people and soon as I pluck up courage to venture into what will be strange territory, a supermarket, I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks all.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Another try-out is cod's roe eggs (fresh or jar), rather nice and perhaps salty, and the poor person's caviar ;o)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad