We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What biscuit toppings?

Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Due to errors in treatment for an unpleasant throat condition I can no longer swallow solid food. Although that is not strictly true as I can 'eat' Carrs Cheese Melts. These. But to do so they must be covered with a thick coating of butter (Lurpak) and a topping which is where my question comes in because the second part of the triple wammy is my taste buds have been to a great extent been destroyed particularly those on the back of the tongue.

Consequently I have found that there are very few flavours that I can still enjoy. Marmite is top of the list, followed by a lemon curd and recently I have discovered Brussels Pate.

I did say eat but not eat in the real sense of the word as the third part of the triple wammy is my salivary glands have been severely affected. So these biscuits have to be washed down with a liquid usually coffee.

So I am looking for alternative suggestions to the toppings I can put on the biscuits bearing in mind I have probably tried most things.

Over to you folks.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Lemon Cheese also known as Lemon Curd.

Don't buy the cheaper varieties as the more expensive one taste so much better - which you might expect. Tesco's Finest is the one we like, mainly because that's where we normally shop, but I'm sure some of the other quality brands are good too.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Yes I always take a dozen jars of Lemon Cheese/Curd to Germany when I go. I introduced my German friends to it when they were here on holiday and they said it is unavailable in Germany (it may be available now of course). They love its rather unusual taste for their continental style breakfast. I think you will like it too.

P.S. Go easy on the rum especially if you are having that for breakfast.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Rum and Ginger Beer - A Dark N Stormy. The advantage of the naval tot was that after drinking it you didn't really care what the meal tasted like.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Lemon Cheese also known as Lemon Curd.

I did mention. in my opening thread, lemon curd as being one of the topping I currently use. Oddly enough I have tried most of the brands and Sainsbury own brand comes out tops followed by Morrison.

Go easy on the rum especially if you are having that for breakfast.

A strange side effect and no an unknown one is my capacity for alcohol has greatly increased and I can quite easily drink a bottle of vodka and be none the worse for wear. Though I do not drink often as I have not found a mixer that tasted tolerable. But I have not tried ginger.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Sorry but I missed the bit in your opening mail about the Lemon Curd/cheese. However perhaps some brands are stronger tasting than others. As for the ginger beer I think the Jamaican Ginger Beer in the yellow cans is probably stronger than other brands.

Then again you can get alcoholic Ginger Beers which may be even stronger so perhaps these on their own would save you buying vodka etc for no purpose if it doesn't get you sozzled.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

If you have a lguidiser why not make your own dips, I do Garlic and onion korma taco seasoning more here http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipes/searchresults.aspx?text=Dips

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

Soft cheese spread topped with smooth peanut butter?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

smooth peanut butter?

This stuff when mixed with my rather thick saliva turns in to something akin to plaster of paris and a pain to swallow even with coffee to try and flush.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

My Physio-terrorist told me last week to cut down on my coffee drinking because it is that which makes me wake up in the night with a dry 'orrible mouth. I have cut back by about 50% but miss it like hell. Drinking water or cordial type juices isn't the same with a hot meal. Going to bed I now drink Horlicks instead and am getting used to that, but I miss the coffee. However my dry mouth has improved a bit, so maybe he is on the right track.

I am thinking about your saliva problem, could that be improved by replacing the coffee you drink with vodka? (joke)... By the way my physio is treating me for a scar on my lung which apparently is untreatable because they don't know what the cause of it is. How physiotherapy will improve my breathing problem I have no idea, but I am trusting in the experts. My first treatment will be tomorrow night. At my interview with the physio last week he asked lots of questions and then said that at my first treatment he would have me walking up and down the room/gym or whatever it is. I already walk about a mile every day outdoors. So I can't wait to see what the difference is going to be. But my mouth should be pretty dry if he walks me further than a mile or so. I will need a pint or two of lager.

Sorry about the rambling on, but I started off with good intentions by telling you about the coffee drying the mouth overnight. Good luck and if I think of anything tasty and minus bones etc. I will let you know.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Have you tried ginger marmalade?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes