We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What biscuit toppings?

Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Due to errors in treatment for an unpleasant throat condition I can no longer swallow solid food. Although that is not strictly true as I can 'eat' Carrs Cheese Melts. These. But to do so they must be covered with a thick coating of butter (Lurpak) and a topping which is where my question comes in because the second part of the triple wammy is my taste buds have been to a great extent been destroyed particularly those on the back of the tongue.

Consequently I have found that there are very few flavours that I can still enjoy. Marmite is top of the list, followed by a lemon curd and recently I have discovered Brussels Pate.

I did say eat but not eat in the real sense of the word as the third part of the triple wammy is my salivary glands have been severely affected. So these biscuits have to be washed down with a liquid usually coffee.

So I am looking for alternative suggestions to the toppings I can put on the biscuits bearing in mind I have probably tried most things.

Over to you folks.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Have you tried "Gentlemen's Relish" as a topping? Available (still) in Sainsbury's . Also Bloater or other fish pastes are tasty.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Oddly enough cheese is something else that I was not keen on before and still do not much care for now. The biscuits have only the merest hint of cheese but it is enough to make them taste better than Carrs Originals.

FM

I do have synthetic saliva (glandosane) which I have to use if I am going to be talking a while as my mouth and throat will totally dry up. But you are correct in your point about taste and saliva but unfortunately the saliva has to be natural. A bit of reading here.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I think Gentleman's Relish is mainly based on Anchovies , which have an intense fishy and salty taste.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

john bunyan

Someone elsewhere has suggested that, I am ashamed to say I thought it had other connotation's but I definitely think it is worth a try following a quick Google. Cheers.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Boursin garlic and herb cheese is quite soft and tasty on almost any bread or biscuit

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

If Marmite is favourite then Bovril should also be suitable.

Try plain and garlic flavoured mayo, tartare sauce, horseradish as long as it's very creamy.

Beef, pork and duck dripping (not all at once!), pickle, just the base, not the bits.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

How about buying a 'liquidiser' and experiment for your own taste ability? Create your own purée?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

If Marmite is favourite then Bovril should also be suitable.

Strangely enough it is quite unpleasant. But I do like the thought of dripping, can you buy this? Tartare sauce is something I definitely have not tried.

How about buying a 'liquidiser' and experiment for your own taste ability? Create your own purée?

Have tried that and I am sure it will not come as a surprise to you how disgusting certain foods becomes when puréed.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Any good butchers will sell dripping. But I thought dripping didn't have a very strong taste. I know I used to love dripping butties as a kid. Not very PC these days though. Have you tried what we used to call Lemon Cheese no bits in it and still available on the jam and marmalade aisle in any good food store.

As for drink can I recommend Rum and Jamaican Ginger Beer, I know that is strong because the ginger beer affects my vocal chords after a few tots of that. Couldn't possibly be the rum of course.

Is there no chance of recovery from what sounds like a rotten affliction?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

Never heard of lemon cheese will mount an expedition to this foreign land, the supermarket in search of said item. As for the rum and ginger beer that too will be on my shopping list. Thanks.

The taste thing is a real pain as I loved my beer but now it tastes absolutely disgusting and I do miss it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 10 most ridiculously opulent, mega expensive and utterly stupid gadgets you can't afford

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

5 things Android Wear *can't* do: Smartwatch OS is great but not flawless

IDG UK Sites

Free QuarkXPress update offers redlining, notes and image enhancement