We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Do most people drink at home?

Blackhat

Likes # 0

I had to take a mile or so walk this morning through my south Birmingham suburb and the recycling bins were out for collection. I noticed that about 9 out of 10 had empty alcoholic containers in them, wine bottles, beer cans, cider bottles etc.

What does this indicate about our drinking habits?

It is a fortnightly collection and some containers had 15+ wine bottles, others 50+ beer cans.

I enjoy a few rum & cokes at the weekend but like to keep a clear head during the week for work so I buy one small bottle of rum per week.

There are constant reminders in the news about increased hospital admissions due to binge drinking and alcohol related problems but pubs are closing down at an alarming rate. Is drinking at home becoming the norm these days?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

My choice is divided between my local pub, where it's £2.60 a pint, or my local bigname store where it's £2.49 for 4 cans of beer. Both options are equally appealing [to me].

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

I'm a G&T man, nothing better than a cold glass straight from the freezer with a large measure of Bombay Sapphire, ice, tonic and a slice of lime. Sipped whilst admiring my neatly manicured lawn, as the sun goes down!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

By jove Flaak999 I've just done the garden, walked the dog on the moors for a couple of hours and biked 7 miles down the tow path, I'm going to have one now.

The sun's far enough over the yard arm, it looks like being a long shadowed evening to not to have wait until the local cricket match starts and I have all the ingredients in the fridge. Oh what it is to be British!

Like this post
Phil Ocifer

Likes # 0

Personally I think its all to do with the economy which tends to make the youth of today "preload" cheaply at home. It was certainly a lot busier earlier on in the late nineties.

I don't drink a great deal, but when one can buy a bottle in a supermarket for less than the price of a large glass in a pub, it makes sense to stop in.

For example, 4 pints at £3 per pint for 7 nights is £84. Some people do - I certainly can't afford to do that.

I feel sorry for the independant publicans (not so much the pub chains) especially the ones in tied pubs. I think there may be some changes to the law up and coming in relation to this.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

To paraphrase Aitchbee for an awful lot of people it's a matter of simple economics. You either drink at the local or at home. Drinking at home is about 1/4 of the price, so, unless you need the social intercourse provided by your fellow man, there really is little choice.

Personally, I do both as, on certain nights of the week, I enjoy the drunken companionship of some, not all, fellow drinkers.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

As I don't like tinned beer - too fizzy and doesn't taste the same - I only drink real beer in pubs. But the amount of recycling of cans and bottles I see in some peoples bins as I wander past is enormous, some houses seem to get through about 20 bottles of wine a week.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

The answer is as clear as a bell, yes most people do drink mostly at home. The booze is too cheap in the supermarkets etc. and too expensive in the public houses. That's why they are shutting down hand over fist, Plain as a pikestaff.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Price is of course a big factor but you have to add in the effect of greater awareness of drinking and driving. Some people will prefer to stay home and have a couple rather than drive to the pub and make one last all night.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

' a large measure of Bombay Sapphire'

Me to, but interesting that in a recent test, Aldi's own mark of gin beat sapphire by quite a margin.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

If you test 20 gins, surely even if the last one will taste better than turps, even if it isn't...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

EE brings 4G LTE to Cornwall and a total of 21 new towns

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

5 things Android Wear *can't* do: Smartwatch OS is great but not flawless

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks