We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New diabetic driving rules

HondaMan

Likes # 0

In July last year, I received a letter from the DVLA which stated “We have received information from the police”. The letter went on to say that as a result of that information they “now needed to make confidential enquiries about my medical fitness to drive”.

I was required to arrange and undertake an eye test. The letter explained that if I failed to arrange this within 21 days, my licence may have to be revoked. So, I complied.

After much to-ing and fro-ing I was in due course advised that my licence was revoked from 10th November.

Following receipt of the original letter I have asked the DVLA for some or all of the following,

1. the date time and place of the incident
  2. Which police station was involved
  3. The identity of the officer(s) concerned
  4. What was the incident

All to no avail. The DVLA’s response was simply that they “require me to complete the questionnaire” and return it but how could I? I was being asked to comment on something which may, or may not have been serious enough to call an incident and which happened at some time at some mysterious location and may or may not have been witnessed by a police officer whose location and identity the DVLA were refusing to disclose.

The way in which the DVLA has handled this matter is extremely questionable, especially as the police have, as yet, found no trace of any such report, but this will be the subject of further correspondence.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

HondMan If it is any consolation you will probably find it cheaper to take taxi's everywhere you go (as long as it is local journeys) than pay the upkeep of a vehicle. Reading what the AA and RAC etc., say about the annual upkeep of a vehicle makes horrendous reading.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Trawling the DVLA web site- medical requiremets etc says quite clearly diabetes is of itself not notifyable if diet and/or tablet managed

They do say that combinatios of non notifyable conditios may alter this.

On the general theme I wondetr if this yet another spoof from places east of calais

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

orry about muliple posts- hiccuping tablet

Failing vision I would say is the crucial factor here. Having recently had cataract procedure I am due to the optitians this Thursday I have a gut feeling what the out come will be.

In which case no 2 daughter has a nice replacement for her old banger coming her way.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia