We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New diabetic driving rules

HondaMan

Likes # 0

In July last year, I received a letter from the DVLA which stated “We have received information from the police”. The letter went on to say that as a result of that information they “now needed to make confidential enquiries about my medical fitness to drive”.

I was required to arrange and undertake an eye test. The letter explained that if I failed to arrange this within 21 days, my licence may have to be revoked. So, I complied.

After much to-ing and fro-ing I was in due course advised that my licence was revoked from 10th November.

Following receipt of the original letter I have asked the DVLA for some or all of the following,

1. the date time and place of the incident
  2. Which police station was involved
  3. The identity of the officer(s) concerned
  4. What was the incident

All to no avail. The DVLA’s response was simply that they “require me to complete the questionnaire” and return it but how could I? I was being asked to comment on something which may, or may not have been serious enough to call an incident and which happened at some time at some mysterious location and may or may not have been witnessed by a police officer whose location and identity the DVLA were refusing to disclose.

The way in which the DVLA has handled this matter is extremely questionable, especially as the police have, as yet, found no trace of any such report, but this will be the subject of further correspondence.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

I have Diabetes (Type2) and informed the DVLA when renewing my licence on a change of address, and there was no problem - Yes, I was in that happy place BUT If you have laser surgery, which is likely at some future point in time, THEN you will come under the new rules as I have. The moral - look after your eyes - and that means keeping very tight control of your diabetes. Mine was undiagnosed for over 20 years!

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

I'm still perplexed.

The matter of how you came to the DVLA's attention is one thing but the question of your eyesight is a separate matter.

Is it right that you had an eye test and failed it?

If you did then DVLA has done nothing wrong. If you've had another eye test and that says you are fit to drive then, I assume, there is an appeal process.

Even if your appeal succeeds, I still don't see how DVLA has done anything wrong. It relied on the results of the eye test you had. If there is a fault, then it is with whoever did that test.

But I stress 'if'. 'Changes in blood sugar levels can result in blurring of vision which comes and goes over the day'. Edited from here.

That suggests that one eye test might find your vision is impaired whereas another, at a different time, might find no problem.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

As usual, FM you are missing the salient fact. Re-read the original post and subsequent posts. I am not going to spoonfeed you the indications, but I suggest you look at the r&r which are easy to find.

Like this post
bjh

Likes # 0

From what I see in your posts, DVLA are responding to "information from the police” and as a "result of that information"... but you later refer to it as an "incident".

The two are surely not the same.

DVLA were then enquiring about your medical fitness to drive, but they were not, as far as I can see, asking you to comment on the original "information" or "incident", whichever it was.

If DVLA are enquiring as to your fitness to drive, you either meet the conditions, or you don't. How DVLA come by that information may be a valid question, but it shouldn't affect the outcome in any way.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

From what I can see 'the salient fact' is that you failed an eye test intended to establish if you are safe to drive.

How you came to be asked to take that eye test is irrelevant.

You are, clearly, upset but I think most people will be pleased that someone who might not see a hazard has been told not to drive.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

As no-one has yet posted the relevant DVLA page here it is

Diabetes & Driving

with links to the information leaflets.

Like this post
Dragon_Heart

Likes # 0

" You are, clearly, upset but I think most people will be pleased that someone who might not see a hazard has been told not to drive. "

When did you last have an eye test or read the Highway Code FM ?

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

"How you came to be asked to take that eye test is irrelevant".

No. It is in fact a very important point and one which could affect everyone with a driving licence.

It is anticipated that 30% of drivers would not pass a test if asked to take one at the roadside and are you aware that any driver over the age of 65 who is involved in an accident will in future be required to take an eye test and that it now seems to be coming into effect that drivers over 70 who have to renew their licence every three years in any event are also now likely to be required to take an eye test before their licence is renewed.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

That seems reasonable.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I see nothing wrong in requiring drivers to take eye tests if it makes our roads safer. How DVLA goes about selecting drivers for the tests doesn't really matter.

I can understand that you're upset about losing your licence, but from an eyesight point of view you are obviously not up to the standard required, and from a safety standpoint you are surely better not being behind the wheel.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September