We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New diabetic driving rules

HondaMan

Likes # 0

In July last year, I received a letter from the DVLA which stated “We have received information from the police”. The letter went on to say that as a result of that information they “now needed to make confidential enquiries about my medical fitness to drive”.

I was required to arrange and undertake an eye test. The letter explained that if I failed to arrange this within 21 days, my licence may have to be revoked. So, I complied.

After much to-ing and fro-ing I was in due course advised that my licence was revoked from 10th November.

Following receipt of the original letter I have asked the DVLA for some or all of the following,

1. the date time and place of the incident
  2. Which police station was involved
  3. The identity of the officer(s) concerned
  4. What was the incident

All to no avail. The DVLA’s response was simply that they “require me to complete the questionnaire” and return it but how could I? I was being asked to comment on something which may, or may not have been serious enough to call an incident and which happened at some time at some mysterious location and may or may not have been witnessed by a police officer whose location and identity the DVLA were refusing to disclose.

The way in which the DVLA has handled this matter is extremely questionable, especially as the police have, as yet, found no trace of any such report, but this will be the subject of further correspondence.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

HondaMan: Diabetes takes many forms and with varying levels of severity.

At some levels, Diabetes can cause blackouts, at others, the eyesight can be adversely affected. Therefore, once you have Diabetes, it is necessary to have regular eye tests and you will need to report your medication level to the DVLC. Your Doctor will advise you on this.

I believe that, in terms of a Driving Licence and the DVLC, Diabetes is a Notifyable Disease and it is a Criminal Offence not to declare it. Check with your Doctor.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

wee eddie I am very well aware of diabetes and its side effects AND the rules of the DVLA, even when mis-applied. I do not need to check with my doctor re anything to do with diabetes. Please do not teach your grandmother to suck eggs

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

So the thread title is irrelevant?

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

Not at all. How do you arrive at that conclusion? The new rules came into force in October so they are "new". A lot has been mentioned about the "hypo" side of diabetes, but very little is mentioned about the new eyesight tests which are also unnecessarily strict. Most if not all other EU countries are not enforcing them so strictly but the UK seems to slavish;ly enforce all the rules to their nth degree.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

HondaMan: I would suggest that if you are diabetic, you work closely with your doctor.

The permanent loss of eyesight and the possible consequences of a 'hypo', while you are driving do not bare thinking about.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

You are STILL trying to teach your grandmother to suck eggs.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

But how do the new diabetic rules relate to the police reporting you?

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

HondaMan

I'm still struggling with what diabetic rules have to do with your original post - which never said anything about diabetes?

Are you saying that your complaint is about DVLA having being told of your condition? If so, what is the problem, you are supposed to declare it anyway, for the safety of other road users?

If you've already declared it, then again what is the problem?

Why was your licence revoked after you had 'complied'? A case for your MP I would think?

It's all a very confusing, hence, how can anyone express opinions?

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

spider9

I may be reading something that HondaMan didn't mean but I understood him to be saying that he took the required eye test and had his licence revoked.

I assume that means his eyesight isn't good enough for him to be driving.

That's unfortunate but the alternative (knocking down a child because you don't see them) would be even more unfortunate.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Like some others, I'm increasingly puzzled. If you have diabetes, and your eyesight isn't up to the required standard, what possible grounds would you have for appealing against the DVLA revocation? It's a road safety matter, and I think you'll find that you don't have the proverbial leg to stand on.

The issue of how DVLA found out about your condition is irrelevant in the circumstances. They did find out, and your eyesight did not reach the required standard, so presumably you'll find it difficult to produce evidence to show that your licence should be restored.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen