We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Leaving your body to medical science.

Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I would quite like to do this but it seems a pretty convoluted process to arrange.

Anyone done it? If so how did you go about it?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

My father always made his wishes pretty clear that he wanted his body to go to science.

When he went not only did they not want it, which would have grieved him greatly, but they were pretty offhand about the whole matter and gave me twenty four hours to remove his body from the hospital mortuary.

My views are a little jaundiced!

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Just as long as I don't get stuck with the delivery!

WTM

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

If you have seen what some medical students get up to with cadavers you wouldn't bother!

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

A194. I hope the others take it seriously, if they don't I will come back and haunt the buggers.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Al94

I don't know how much fact is behind that comment and how much is urban myth. Either way, my wife and I like to think of her mother's skeleton coming out for the students' Christmas party.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

A194

Does it really matter what happens to the bone and gristle of a cadaver? The body is dead, why would you/they be concerned? Presumably people will have 'paid their respects' to the deceased prior to this.

If you have concerns about the dead person being 'mistreated' then, obviously you just burn them, or bury them!! Much nicer for them, don't you think??

Medical students have a hard time, it's not all 'white coats and beautiful nurses', and dissection of bodies can hardly be classified as fun, so if some of them do, from time to time, exhibit traits of 'black humour' in the mortuary, then so be it.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Pre-cute Disney skeleton short.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

When I've looked at this in the past, the cost of getting the body to the medical school had to be paid for by the donor's estate or relatives but I see from the link that it says donors have to be local because the medical schools can't afford to pay long distance transport charges.

At that time, it said donations shouldn't be seen as a means of avoiding funeral charges.

I'd say depriving the money grabbing funeral industry of money is a very good reason to donate. I think a dead body is just waste material so I didn't succumb to the emotional blackmail of the funeral director when my mother died. But he made it perfectly clear that going for the lowest cost options showed I didn't really love my mum.

I fear many people are exploited and end up paying £000s because they fall for the hard sell delivered in reverential whispers.

Like this post
exdragon

Likes # 0

My dad left his body to medical science and 18 months afterwards, my mother was told that they had finished with it. They organised a little service to scatter the ashes at place of her choice, and some of the consultants who had been involved with the 'donation' attended and told her how useful it had been.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes