We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The Biter Bit - Computer Games

fourm member

Likes # 0

A computer game company developed a role playing game where the role is to be a games developer. Players design and market games and make pretend money by selling them.

On the day the game was launched, the company posed as a hacker and posted a hacked version of the game on a file-sharing site so people could download it without paying.

But that second version was different. It was built in that, when a player started to earn money by selling games, a 'pirate' would start to syphon off the money. The inevitable end of every game was that the player ended up with no money.

The irony is that various message boards etc. have had postings from people playing the stolen game complaining about the theft of their income.

The game developer can take some quiet satisfaction from messing with the thieves but is it likely to make anybody think twice in the future?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

The same result comes from playing cards and dice for money...

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

How on earth are to give an opinion when you have provided so little information?

Name of game would be useful as would a link to the message boards you mentioned.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Chronos the 2nd

Pretty easy to find - Google is your friend.

The game is called 'Game Dev Tycoon' and is from Greenheart games.

Read all about it here.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Forum Editor

Any chance of a dig?

But it was equally easy to add the details to the thread and more usual. But hey FM can do no wrong. But thanks anyway.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Chronos the 2nd

I didn't give a link for two reasons.

First, the place I saw the story had lots of the comments from disgruntled thieves and the language was colourful.

Second, I was interested in the general point of how you change people's behaviour rather than this specific incident.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Chronos the 2nd

'But hey FM can do no wrong.'

Imagine the fun you and others would have had if I posted a link containing words you'd all claim made you blush.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Chronos the 2nd

"Any chance of a dig?"

Any chance of a silly display of paranoia?

Like this post
Phil Ocifer

Likes # 0

Excellent ruse - I like it. Perhaps FAST could harvest the filesharers ids?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite