We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

UK Justice - Lack of ...

Nontek
Resolved

Likes # 0

What is the point of Life Sentences in UK today? On this evenings news a person is sentenced to Nine Life Sentences, but the closing line of the item says that the convicted person will have to serve at lease 16 years!!

No wonder this country has so many serious offenders - even Life is no deterrent!

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

Agreed, that is why I put my Green tick on that post! Prison should be something to dread, yet to some it is just a way of life, even a chosen way of life to some!

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

If more prisons were run in this style with like-minded governors it would help!!

click here

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Brumas

I don't know how much you've read about Joe Arpaio. He's a 'birther' and 'a bully and a racist who has mismanaged the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office and cost county taxpayers millions of dollars in lawsuits.' He's been taken to court because of his abuse of pre-trial detainees i.e. people who have not been found guilty and he is being sued by the US Department of Justice. He also has a tendency to ignore sex crimes, including those involving children.

He is about as unpleasant as the American right gets.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

fourm member I have only read what was in the link, reading your links paints a completely different picture of him, however the principles of my link, fairly applied still constitute what I believe 'serving a prison sentence" should mean!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Well, everyone can't be perfect, can they?

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

'fairly applied'

Unfortunately, that's a concept that is alien to Sheriff Joe. And 'fairly applied' should also include the neglected victims of crime where the offences against them didn't fit Arpaio's agenda including a 9-year old girl.

It is a mistake to think the US justice system has things to teach us. I'm obviously not saying that every judge is like Mark Ciavarella but I do think a system that makes such barbaric behaviour possible has a lot wrong with it.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

It seems "the system" is out to make life as difficult as possible for us law-abiding citizens enter link description here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Exclusive: Samsung exits laptop market including Chromebooks

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features