We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I know it has to be done

carver

Likes # 0

I know it has to be done but I would hate to take part in a trial such as this gene therapy or have a partner take part and wonder if I or my partner had the real treatment or the dummy.

But if it does work what next, if they can start to engineer genes and they are successful then one day people could look back and wonder why we had to cut people open to repair organ failures.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

At the risk of souring the triumphs of modern science, when we do discover the elixir of life that lets us all live forever (or comparatively so), who pays for our retirement years that will last many decades more than our working years?

Not to mention raising the compulsory international birth control taboo that will have to be addressed sooner or later this century.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Quickbeam you don't get to retire, you have to keep working to pay for the treatment to keep you alive.

The top 10 % will just have to have more slaves sorry servants.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

"Not to mention raising the compulsory international birth control taboo that will have to be addressed sooner or later this century."

Compulsory birth control can be imposed by totalitarian governments, but not in democracies.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

But either can address the taboo positively.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

Yes, but you said "compulsory" which is an entirely different thing.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I remove the word 'compulsory' from my prediction.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

In which case I totally agree with you.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Too late, it's a topic that is raised at most International meetings in democracies as well as totalitarian governments - Reproductive rights - see the section on Population control (near bottom of page) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reproductive_rights it gets discussed constantly.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"it gets discussed constantly."

It does indeed, but action needs to be concerted, which prompted my agreement with Quickbeam.

Totalitarian governments can impose controls, and have done so in the past. Democracies face a far more difficult problem, particularly in the developing nations.

In the EU the population will actually fall overall by 2060, but there will be problems of a different kind - the ratio of workers to pensioners will fall drastically, placing an enormous burden on welfare budgets, and consequent tax rises for workers. Britain is about the only large country in Europe where population is predicted to rise over the next 50 years - from 61 million to almost 77 million. It's because we have a younger average age - our current birth rate is the highest it's been for a generation, up from 11.76 births per 1000 of population in 2000 to 12.27 in 2012.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

10 mind-blowing Oculus Rift experiments that reveal VR's practical potential

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers