We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How Quick is Your Sense of Humour?

fourm member

Likes # 0

When I went out this morning a new comedy started on Radio 4. After about a minute, I decided it wasn't my sort of comedy and changed station.

It made me wonder about how people evaluate new comedy (and then I realised that includes an assumption).

So, the first question is, are you receptive to new comedy programmes or do you look for comedians you know you enjoy and only try a new programme if one of them is involved?

And, second, if you are willing to give unknown comedy a try, how long does it take for you to decide if it suits? Are you willing to sit through a full programme to see if it comes right?

For example, at 9pm tonight, is it Dave Allan on BBC2 or the new sitcoms on ITV?

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

I find very little comedy nowadays is actually funny! i can still sit and laugh at only fools and horses,Mr bean,bottom,Tommy cooper etc probably 2 "recent shows i laughed at and watched all of the episodes were "2pints of lager" and "benidorm"

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

If you can remember that trailers only show the best parts, then you can just watch them and don't bother tuning in for the rest.

"Round The Horne" jb.? I didn't think you were old enough to remember that program. They don't make 'em like that any more do they? "Right hand down a bit".... Takes me back to Stonehouse Barracks just before I went to join my first unit back in early 48.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Batch has got to the core of what I was thinking. I tend to blame myself for not finding a new comedy funny because, as Batch said, enough people must have thought it was for it to be broadcast.

I see 'Radio Times' is calling 'Viscous' the 'Comedy of the Week' but, to me, it just sounds like 'Terry & June' for the 21st century.

The tradition of 'Round the Horne' is still to be found. Richard Herring's weekly column for the 'Metro' often contains smutty euphemisms far worse than some of the words that get edited out.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"'Terry & June' for the 21st century."

In that case, I won't be giving it a try at all!

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

"Round The Horne" jb.? I didn't think you were old enough to remember that program. They don't make 'em like that any more do they? "Right hand down a bit"..

Round the Horne was 1965 - 99. I think "Right hand down a bit".. Was the "Navy Lark" - 1959 - 1976!!! even remember ITMA.....

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

jb. What's my memory like? I'm sure I can remember that program from the early fifties. It probably was "The Navy Lark" as you say. I know your memory is much better than mine, but could it have been repeated in the sixties (59-76)??? I will have to satisfy my curiosity now and look it up on Wickie.

Well just looked and obviously I am miles out of kilter. I couldn't even get the phrase right, it should have been "Left Hand Down a bit". First episode in 1959 as you said. Ah well! I can't be right all the time can I?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Scroll down for Full List

How many do you remember?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Nontek

That's torn it. This thread could be a record if we go through all of those...

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I've just given up when I realised I was only half way through the "A's"...

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

If Glesga' 'wide-boys' 'Francie & Josie' are not on Nontek's link, then ... 'the gemme-za-bogey'.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...