We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How Quick is Your Sense of Humour?

fourm member

Likes # 0

When I went out this morning a new comedy started on Radio 4. After about a minute, I decided it wasn't my sort of comedy and changed station.

It made me wonder about how people evaluate new comedy (and then I realised that includes an assumption).

So, the first question is, are you receptive to new comedy programmes or do you look for comedians you know you enjoy and only try a new programme if one of them is involved?

And, second, if you are willing to give unknown comedy a try, how long does it take for you to decide if it suits? Are you willing to sit through a full programme to see if it comes right?

For example, at 9pm tonight, is it Dave Allan on BBC2 or the new sitcoms on ITV?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I tend to stumble upon new comedians - usually when my wife is out, or away on a trip, and I'm channel-surfing.

I find that where comedy is concerned reality often exceeds expectation - 'Vicious', the new series with Derek Jacobi and Ian McKellen is a case in point. I looked forward to last night's first episode, but within fifteen minutes I was struggling to keep watching; it was, in my opinion, quite awful.

I find many of the 'new' comedians, with their apparent reliance on obscenities, rather juvenile.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

I haven't watched Vicious yet (maybe tonight), but you've rather confirmed my suspicions. Oh well!

There was that other thing recently also with Derek Jacobi (where an elderly couple get reacquainted after never quite getting it together when they were young). I really didn't see the point and gave up.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Some of the reviews on both of the ITV shows have been quite poor.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I suppose that my answer would depend on a few factors.

For instance I would seldom give a sitcom on ITV a second glance, as it's very rare that anything on that channel has made me laugh, Same would be true for BBC 3, but a sitcom on BBC2 or Ch 4 would raise my interest if I knew anyone in it or the writers.

I find sitcoms to be tiresome on the whole though as I can't abide canned laughter.

Instead I prefer stand-up, or their off-spring the panel show.

Most years I attend the Latitude music & arts festival in Suffolk, and they have a very reliable comedy tent where we spend most days, watching a mix of new stand-ups, famous TV stand-ups and students on the open-mic spots. From this stage I've found many comedians who I try to see when they appear at the Grand in Lancaster (over the Easter break we saw Marcus Brigstocke, Terry Alderton & Phill Jupitus there).

I suppose the problem is similar to discovering new music, a good friend has a music web-site and she's regularly inundated with demos (they used to be tapes & 7" singles, now it's emails with MP3s attached or you tube links). Her problem is that some days she'd have to spend several hours listening to them all, which isn't ideal when she also has a full time job and a young child, so she generally gives the track 30 seconds at the most to grab her, otherwise it's skipped...

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Found Vicious disappointing

Tired old jokes more suited to the Seventies.

I did think Derek Jacobi sounded very much like Mr Humphries from Are You Being Served.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I often find that my enjoyment of a programme is in inverse proportion to the amount of trailers ie a high number of trailers = poor programme.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

... a topnotch football pundit said tonight, during the half-time interval of the big match;- " there's a lot more football to be played in the second half. " [Lee Dixon] That was funny.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Tastes change. I used to like the Goon Show, Monty Python, but they seem dated now. The "Round the Horn" radio show was well ahead of its time and I still find it funny (Tapes). These days I like Victoria Wood. The "Vicious" program looked boring in the trailer so I avoided it.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

What get's me with the likes of The Wright Way and Vicious is that the writer presumably thinks it funny, as do the producers to the extent that a series is commissioned and "good" money is spent churning out such dire programmes.

Maybe there is a section of society that really does appreciate such poorly written and badly produced trash (maybe the same people that like Coronation Street, Eastenders, Towie etc.).

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I think its like the "emperor has no clothes on". They all say how good and wonderful it is, what a great writer, what a great cast but no one says "what a load of rubbish".

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite