We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How Quick is Your Sense of Humour?

fourm member

Likes # 0

When I went out this morning a new comedy started on Radio 4. After about a minute, I decided it wasn't my sort of comedy and changed station.

It made me wonder about how people evaluate new comedy (and then I realised that includes an assumption).

So, the first question is, are you receptive to new comedy programmes or do you look for comedians you know you enjoy and only try a new programme if one of them is involved?

And, second, if you are willing to give unknown comedy a try, how long does it take for you to decide if it suits? Are you willing to sit through a full programme to see if it comes right?

For example, at 9pm tonight, is it Dave Allan on BBC2 or the new sitcoms on ITV?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I heard on the radio today that Dave Allen had a clause in his contract that only permitted one repeat which is why you don't see repeats of his shows.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

A few minutes, sometimes less.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I don't take to new comedy or new comedians. They do nothing for me at all, but that's probably age related. I don't like anything new.

Dave Allen was brilliant and I still laugh at one of the sketches which I have retained on my computer. It is the one where he is driving a horse and cart out of a Prison Of War Camp in Germany. The German guard is bayoneting the contents of the cart looking for escaping prisoners. When the carry on order is given the camera shows the horse is actually one of those pantomime horses occupied by two escaping prisoners.

I loved the way he took the Mickey out of religion, the Pope must have been laughing himself a few times though. (Well, he would have if he had a sense of humour).

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I like Radio better than Tv nowadays ... I always have a laugh when Jazzer is on the Archers 'cos i don't think anybody [down south] understands him half of the time - but thanks fm for letting us know Dave Allen is on tonight. i am watching right now.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

The problem with humour is, on the whole, its inability to age well. Certain things have stood up quite well, i.e only fools, dads army, dave allen etc. Others are just plain cringeworthy. Not many people would go out of their way to watch repeats of terry and june, for instance. Or some mothers do have them.

Personally, I have a number of mp3's of round the horne, and hancocks half hour on my ipod that I plug into my truck on a night trunk. Sometimes I play them in the car when we go out, but I often find myself involved in long explanations to the kids about cultural references that they simply do not understand.

(incidentally, personal favourites include tony hancock taking the plunge and buying a TV set.)

WTM

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Very personal thing sense of humour. Mine is warped apparently but at least I have one unlike many these days.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Tony Hancock - blood donor - A pint? That's very nearly an armful!. Never forgot that one :D and episode is on YouTube somewhere, might look at it later.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

I try new comedy programmes from time to time and, more often than not, am completely disappointed.

For example, last Tuesday BBC1 had the Ben Elton scripted "The Wright Way". Watched about 5 mins and moved on. It was truly appallingly bad. Telegraph review: "Formulaic, hackneyed, exhaustingly unfunny" and for this week's episode "Looking for a laugh? Look elsewhere."

Occasionally one comes up with a true classic though. Adam Hills Stands Up Live (still available on 4oD). I'd never seen this guy before. He's missing a foot (and plays on that), plus he had a female signer on stage "translating" for some hard of hearing bods in the theatre audience. First 20 minutes or so were hilarious with her efforts to represent some of the more, let's say, extreme content. Brilliant.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Batch

Treat yourself to the DVD of Adam Hills' 'Inflatable' show.

A comedian who can make you laugh and cry within minutes ticks all my boxes.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

Have to say that the funniest show that I've seen was in 1974 and so would seem a tad dated now.

I'd been sharing a flat (well a slum would be nearer the truth) in Swindon during the week with two guys from Bolton (I'm from St.Reatham myself). We were all on contract to Plessey in Swindon as computer operators and used the hovel to doss from Monday to Thursday nights.

Needless to say much heavy drinking took place. The Bolton guys had this album by some bloke called Jasper Carrott (he had not hit "the big time" then). After a few beers we just fell about, even when we'd heard it umpteen times before.

So I just had to see the guy live. He did the folk club circuit and I kept an eye out on the listings in NME & Melody Maker. Pretty soon he was to be on at the Three Horsehoes in Hampstead. So my girlfriend (now my wife) and my brother trekked over there.

It was in the room above the pub. Not very big. A small performance platform in one corner and a small bar in another. 2 hours of Jasper Carrott at his best washed along with several pints.

When we left the pub our faces were truly aching from 2 solid hours of laughing.

Having seen Mr Carrott on TV shows since he was never ever as good as back then.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made