We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How Quick is Your Sense of Humour?

fourm member

Likes # 0

When I went out this morning a new comedy started on Radio 4. After about a minute, I decided it wasn't my sort of comedy and changed station.

It made me wonder about how people evaluate new comedy (and then I realised that includes an assumption).

So, the first question is, are you receptive to new comedy programmes or do you look for comedians you know you enjoy and only try a new programme if one of them is involved?

And, second, if you are willing to give unknown comedy a try, how long does it take for you to decide if it suits? Are you willing to sit through a full programme to see if it comes right?

For example, at 9pm tonight, is it Dave Allan on BBC2 or the new sitcoms on ITV?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"wonder about how people evaluate new comedy"

I have to at least form a smile.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

But how long are you willing to wait for that smile to appear?

Like this post
Cymro.

Likes # 0

I will usually stick with it to the end of the first episode but no more.

As for "For example, at 9pm tonight, is it Dave Allan on BBC2 or the new sitcoms on ITV"? Dave Allan every time. No contest as far as I am concerned.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I think that you may have asked a how long is a piece of string question. It depends on who is performing, who has written it, whether you paid, etc. I might wait to see if it gets better or after a very short while I may walk out or switch off (mentally or physically). It also depends on who I am with. If I find it makes the other person uncomfortable/not funny then I'll switch off.

I will not be watching ITV tonight (if I did it would be recorded) because although it has a good cast I suspect that it will follow the hackneyed gay couple comedy route. I hope I'm wrong.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Cymro.

Very interesting. So, here's my follow-up that might get me to change my ways. How often do you get to the end of that first episode and feel glad you didn't switch it off after the first x minutes when it didn't seem to be any good?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

My choice is to record Dave Allen so I can enjoy it again as many times as I want. He was a new comedian when he started, so yes I can say I am receptive to new comedy programmes/comedians. I'll try the new sitcoms at least up to the first or second advert breaks unless I find another program on diff channel that will be more interesting - haven't looked yet to see what the choices are.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"But how long..."

Not long these days. And not at all if canned laughter is involved, I don't do laugh to order.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

"For example, at 9pm tonight, is it Dave Allan on BBC2 or the new sitcoms on ITV?2"

Both almost

Always liked Dave Allen a genius of "sitdown comedy and shorts" will be reorded

Quite fancy a look at Vicious, two absolute great actors hamming it up if the writings good then it can't fail.

The one at 9:30 will probably get a miss judging from the trailers I've seen.

I'm quite slow on taking up new comedy usually into the second series before i become a regular watcher I'm talking about things like Monty python the young ones etc. Although I was hooked early with the Big Bang Theory

must have been all the science and geek jokes ringing a bell (says Quasimodo)

:0)

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Dave Allen for me.

Saw him in the early sixties (just before his 'fame' on TV) at a small club in Wigan. There were only about ten people in the audience and he gave a performance like no other I've seen since - we were literally aching with laughter. At the end he came round all the tables and chatted, a nice, genuine man.

Like this post
Cymro.

Likes # 0

forum member

How often do you get to the end of that first episode and feel glad you didn't switch it off after the first x minutes when it didn't seem to be any good?

Yes it has happened although like Fruit Bat I also take time to get in to new comedy. I don't remember ever seeing Fools and horses first time round. So repeats can be useful sometimes.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 930 review: The flagship Windows Phone 8.1 smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Live Blog: Apple financial results, record June quarter, 35.2m iPhones sold, $37.4b revenue

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger