We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New tax vs old tax

Dragon_Heart

Likes # 0

We already now have the extra bedroom tax, what will be next ?

We have already had the 'window' tax, which resulted in thousands of windows being bricked up.

I suggest a gnome tax, a barbecue tax and a conifer tax …. any other suggestions ?

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

fourm member

"so that there is nothing the politician can divert to as a means of avoiding an answer."

Sorry, but how naive can one be?

There isn't a politician alive who couldn't (and wouldn't) divert any question put to them. It's a standard technique, taught at every Party training seminar to potential candidates.

Replies usually prefaced with..."But what I do know is......."

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

spider9 another one is "but under the last government" this comes in handy when other options will not work, this way they just avoid the question completely.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Aitchbee I think you are onto a winner with that one [a Politician Tax?]

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

spider9

Missing the point again, I'm afraid.

Of course, politicians try to avoid answering the question. You'd have to be very naïve to think that anyone was naïve enough not to understand that.

My point is, they are given an open goal when the question contains a simple factual inaccuracy.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I get the impression that fm could easily afford the argument tax...

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

fourm member

People, often of limited means, are going to have to pay extra money to the government (or uproot their families and move house, if they can even find a smaller one!!) - that, in any language, is a form of taxation.

You , obviously, are also missing that point, again!

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

spider9

'People, often of limited means, are going to have to pay extra money to the government'

My apologies. I made the mistake of thinking you understood this matter.

No-one is 'going to have to pay extra money'. They are going to receive less money in benefits.

Thank you for demonstrating the confusion that has been caused by those fools who decided to label this the 'bedroom tax'.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

spider9 so you see people are not being taxed, only fools call it that.

Now what is it called when you have money given to you and the government take it away.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

fourm member

Only a politician could be pedantic enough to espouse a difference between the government withholding cash from you and taking money off you.

Whatever way you look at it, it is costing people money to avoid having to move house.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

spider9

'Whatever way you look at it'

No. Look at it the right way and it is a discussion about the priorities for the benefits system. It is a discussion about whether more tax should be paid to leave benefits as they are. It is a fundamental discussion about the role of the individual (and her family if she is lucky enough to have one) versus the state when providing life's necessities.

And it is a discussion about the difference between private housing and social housing.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad