We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Are there any Engineers about?

flycatcher1

Likes # 0

25 years ago I made a roller blind for our conservatory roof 14ftX9ft. It has worked well with the odd repair but it has now gone for a burton on one side. A friend has suggested that I make a new axle of aluminium tube and I find that it is readily available in 4" or 4 1/2" diameter in the correct length in 10 or 16 swg. My question is - will it be rigid enough and can I use the thinner material to reduce weight and cost ?

Advice will be appreciated.

Like this post
Noldi

Likes # 0

10 SWG is over 3mm thick it would have to be a very heavy blind. The strength is in the shape so 18 SWG (1.2 mm) will be strong enough.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

As above plus the weight is not all in the middle

Like this post
Cymro.

Likes # 0

So how much would a brand new shop bought blind cost? Is it really worth doing it yourself?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

As Noldi says, the strength is in the tubular shape, so there wouldn't be a problem with deflection, provided the weight of material isn't that great. The problems with tubes of this size tend to come at the end bearings, so make sure you get that part right.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

"the strength is in the tubular shape"

So why can't I get a decent item to hang net curtain on, that doesn't droop in the middle?

:0)

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Now we will find out if the FE's extensive knowledge covers haberdashery!

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

Thanks for all the advice I think that I will give it a go.

Cymro Have you looked at the cost of an external blind 5mX3M ? Not for me. I enjoy making things - always have - especially when cash has been short.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...