We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The Rich Asked To Give Up Their Bus Passes etc.

Bing.alau
Resolved

Likes # 0

I wonder if the bloke who thought up that wheeze is going to give up his travel expenses as well? I haven't got a link to it but it has been on the news a couple of times.

Like this post
Blackhat

Likes # 0

Possibly your missing link.

Link

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

When I consider the amount of tax I have paid over the past 45 years I will take everything I can get and give up nothing voluntarily.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Do many of the rich use a bus pass other than a metaphorical reference to their age?

i.e. 'I've just qualified for my free bus pass', as they drive off in their Roller from the Savoy Grill...

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

The devil would be in the detail!

What is a 'rich' pensioner? Many have small incomes but huge capital assets, house, savings etc. It will all depend on the definition of rich.

The most likely would seem to be to use the criteria of benefit claim, but I think that would cause problems as well.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

'The devil would be in the detail!'

Exactly. You'd hardly think Bruce Forsyth needs his free TV licence but how do you find a scheme that removes benefits from those that truly don't need them without it costing more to run than is saved?

The reality is, of course, that many of these things aren't benefits at all. They are bribes and it would take a very brave party to end them.

If someone is on low income, they need extra help but that doesn't mean you have to break that help down into individual things like fares or heating or the TV licence.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

I meant to add that when I wrote 'They are bribes and it would take a very brave party to end them' I meant to say that the perception is that it would be electoral suicide to remove them.

IDS might be trying to test the truth of that by seeing how many people are willing to give up money they don't need.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

[ depend on the definition of rich ]

I think what it means is if you can afford to live without them that you don't need them.

And in my opinion nobody should have to pay for a TV Licence.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

What is it with these Iain Duncan Smith type of politicians, when they seem to keep coming out with these obvious stinging statements for certain parts of the human race. Is this just another 'Think Tank' statement that a politician as thought worthy of a mention, so as to perhaps prove how in touch he is with things?.

Like this post
caccy

Likes # 0

A194 Totally agree with you. Perhaps those that have NOT paid in should not get these treats!!

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

A194 "I will take everything I can get and give up nothing voluntarily."

Unfortunately a very common attitude to take " because I've been a taxpayer, I am owed everything I can get".

Taxation is supposed to be a way our society tries to 'even things up', whereby those who can give most make life a bit better for those who have little (the sick, disabled etc).

If we, who have managed to do well in our lives, then demand extra services 'because I've paid in more than you', then society is on a downward spiral of "Devil take the hindmost" - not something I would wish to be part of!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more