We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The Rich Asked To Give Up Their Bus Passes etc.

Bing.alau
Resolved

Likes # 0

I wonder if the bloke who thought up that wheeze is going to give up his travel expenses as well? I haven't got a link to it but it has been on the news a couple of times.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

'Funny world' indeed where the dissembling of politicians has passed into the general arena.

carver wants us to think that MPs are getting special treatment as a result of having a contributions increase deferred. And he wants us to think this is because of pleading by the MPs.

If you read the link, however, you find that the decision was taken by an independent body and results from the fact that it is involved in a detailed assessment of all remuneration and benefits for MPs and increasing the pension contributions, now, would be tinkering at the margin.

When IPSA reports later in the year there will be the opportunity for a sensible discussion about what we believe to be a fair package.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

fourm member

*" ....about what we believe to be a fair package."*

Hmm, an interesting turn of phrase " what we....." - almost sounds like you're personally involved in these Parliamentary matters!!!!

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

spider9 funny world isn't it.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I always thought that The Free Bus Pass was a neat way of subsidising the Busses, and of getting a few oldies out of their pit.

To be honest, although I am 67 and on an income that is so low that many would be horrified, I have yet to use my Bus Pass as my Bicycle is neater and overall, quicker.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

spider9

It's called democracy.

Either you believe that the opinion of 'we' the public can have an influence on the activities of those in parliament and government and so it is worth trying to contribute to the formation of that public opinion or you believe politicians will do what they want without taking any note of the people.

In the latter case, one would be simply breaking wind into the thunder and that's a stupid and pointless waste of time.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

fourm member

Took a wee while, but I knew you'd manage an explanation eventually!!

Personally I derive great satisfaction from breaking wind into thunder, and ,thus, it cannot be described as pointless! Would that we could stop you politicians doing the same (but orally) though.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

spider9 and fourm member - Remember to check which way the wind is blowing.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"morddwyd would really have a coronary"

I have already really had a coronary, and if I were to have another, which would probably be fatal, it would be caused by something a lot more stressful than childish bickering in a web forum.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

morddwyd

Of course, you knew full well that my comment was a jocular response to your 'communism' dig, and not to be taken literally.

Strangely, it can be the most insignificant things that can precipitate these things, yes, even the childish bickering that we've both been guilty of (along with others, who I dare not name!!!).

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Stop running out of cellular data on your iPhone, see which apps use the most data