We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The Rich Asked To Give Up Their Bus Passes etc.

Bing.alau
Resolved

Likes # 0

I wonder if the bloke who thought up that wheeze is going to give up his travel expenses as well? I haven't got a link to it but it has been on the news a couple of times.

Like this post
pavvi

Likes # 0

I find it bizarre that after the introduction of Bedroom tax, IDS is asking pensioners to hand back money they do not 'need'. Where will this money go? Who was it that encouraged the idea of want over need that is the basis of a consumer society? So they are asking the wrong question. It should be hand back money you do not want.

Why not make the system fairer rather than expect people to do it for them (the government). I understand the argument about a family having more bedrooms than it needs, but why should that family who might just as easily be entitled to it through no fault of their own be made to suffer because they are in a 3 bedroom house because there are no 2 bedroom houses available (partly because they were sold off without being replaced. ).

Bus passes only use tax money when they are actually used. They are accounted for by the bus companies. They are paid out by local authorities and are often one of the things to be under budget at the end of the fiscal year.

Like this post
Dragon_Heart

Likes # 0

"What is it with these Iain Duncan Smith type of politicians ..."

I always think these 'ideas' are either put forward / 'leaked' to 'test the water' or as a distraction from something else going on !

How about the super rich bankers and MP's etc. paying extra tax ....... NO ! they don't like that idea ?, in fact they think the complete opposite !

Like this post  
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"I have never understood why they are not means tested "

There speaks someone who has never gone through the degrading and humiliating experience of means testing!

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

morddwyd

Far be it from me to speak on Woolwell's behalf, but the 'means testing' he was talking about did not, to my mind, involve degrading interviews.

With the topics being discussed, bus passes and fuel allowance, the decisions are made without personal reference (or application forms etc) and are based solely on age.

To means test these benefits could be quite easy (and non-intrusive) by simply looking at someone's income tax bracket, or whether they are already in receipt of some other 'benefits'. All this information is readily available and would not require personal scrutiny.

All means testing is not the same!

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Fascinating. A long thread discussing nothing.

IDS was just on TV (talking about the universal benefit pilot) and was asked about this.

He explained that, soon after the government took office, it was asked by a number of wealthy people if anything could be done about this so it set up a hot line. If you don't want a benefit you can ring or go online and return it.

All he did when asked by the Telegraph journalist was to say this system exists. The journalist decided that, by providing that information, IDS was 'encouraging' people.

IDS said that he has no position. If people want to return benefits they can. If they don't, that's fine. He said that it is cheaper overall to make things like the winter fuel payment universal.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

I have a Bus Pass. I don't use it very often as the bus stops are too far for me to walk to. If I need to use the busses I drive to the Park & Ride but I then have to pay a reduced fare even with my Pass. The only time I can get a 'Free' ride on the Park and Ride is if I'm going to the Hospital, as there is a Hospital Shuttle bus from one P&R location.

As to Fuel Allowance, I pay far more Tax than I will ever get back in Fuel Allowance. The reason I pay Tax is because I worked all my life and have a small private Pension, which I PAID FOR. I have some savings which I made a conscious effort to put away so that I could be independent in retirement, and not have to scrimp like my parents did. Because I've been careful and managed my money I'm not eligible for any other benefits, but I certainly don't think of myself being 'RICH'

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

spider9 thank you. You have expressed my response. I think that my other posts indicate that I was referring to income tax, etc.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Can you lend me a tenner?

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Quickbeam never ask for a "tenner" start at £100 then come down and say you could just get by on £20 then people think they are getting a bargain by knocking you down.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

I always thought that on retirement I would receive back some of the benefits which during my working life I had helped fund in the form of tax and social security tax, I also paid for a private pension which has gone downhill these past few years because money that I and other people paid in was used to fund dodgy deals and bonuses .

I've seen public company's privatised and now have to pay through the nose for services provided by them, a house I have paid for myself is now an asset and should be used to fund my old age according to some people, it's even been suggested that I pay for my son who is ill instead of the state.

But an MP can retire on a pension after only a few years on a pension that some of us will not receive as a salary in our working life, 20 years and you get £30000 pension, not bad

Then when they are asked to pay more towards it the increase is deferred enter link description here, funny world.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 things we want to see in Android M: New features and fixes

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 release date rumours: 'iPad mini Air' will be 30 percent thinner than current model

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone