We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The Rich Asked To Give Up Their Bus Passes etc.

Bing.alau
Resolved

Likes # 0

I wonder if the bloke who thought up that wheeze is going to give up his travel expenses as well? I haven't got a link to it but it has been on the news a couple of times.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

"not something I would wish to be a part of!"

But you already are, its just that you have not opened your eyes and ears to it?.

I myself possibly tend to be one of those very righteous people who consider I might give more than I perhaps take, but at the end of the day, I would be like many others, right at the front of the queue for the handout, hoping that no one is noticing?.

I suppose its a bit like buying essential insurances, then not making a genuine claim?.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Taxation is supposed to be a way our society tries to 'even things up', whereby those who can give most make life a bit better for those who have little (the sick, disabled etc)."

That's not taxation, it's Communism - "From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs"!

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

What is the definition of being rich. Many of todays pensioners scrimped and saved to buy a property that may have increased in value far beyond its original value in real terms due to inflation and the lack of available proprties in a perticular area. In financial terms they may be on the bread line due to having little income other than the state pension. There are others who have taken notice of successive governments statements to provide for your old age and have a private pension. They are not necessarily rich just have a comfortable standard of life not needing state benefits to eat and heat their home etc. In my case the winter fuel payment just about takes care of the annual rise in the cost of heating and lighting my home. I have a bus pass but it is of little or no use to me as there is no bus service in my area. Thwe only way I can travel is by car. Goverment ministers have a cheek to make such statements when it is known the size of the gravy train and perks they are on.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

In the case of the winter fuel allowance, although I would lose some of it, I think it would be easier to make it part of the OAP, still paying at the same time for those that prefer it as a lump sum. In that way it would be far simpler, and some, like me, would pay tax on it. Our OAP is quite low compared with other EU countries.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I think IDS has lost the plot with this one. As has already been stated define "rich". We donate our winter fuel allowance to charity. We occasionally use our bus passes but that is becoming increasingly difficult as the buses have recently been reduced to once per hour off peak. How do you give things back? Bus passes are not given out they have to be applied for. If you don't want one or need one then don't apply for it.

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

A194

" better for those who have little (the sick, disabled etc)."

You missed of 'scroungers, work shy' or were they included in the etc. If anybody has a 'Devil take the hindmost' it is them and I, for one, resent the money I worked hard for being used in that manner. You betcha I'll claim for that to which I am entitled which aren't, incidentally, 'extra services'.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

morddwyd

Why does everything that says our society should care about others, less able to provide for themselves as well as the fortunate ones, immediately become "Communism" in your view?

Was the start of the NHS in 1945 also 'Communism'??

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

csqwared

I presume, if you'd bothered to read it, that it was myself who said those things, nor A194!

As long as you are happy for multi-millionaires to claim their 'rights' then that's fine, I just gave an opinion!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

spider9 - Taxation isn't about trying to even things up. Taxation is to pay for the Government spending which includes NHS, benefits, etc but also defence, police, judiciary, etc. The amount paid depends on what people earn or profits made.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

I read that Vince Cable believes pensioners have been protected during the financial crisis.

The nest egg I built up during a working lifetime now earns next to nothing in the bank and it's value is being eroded by inflation and an annuity is considerably more expensive since quantative easing started.

I'm glad he didn't throw us to the wolves!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...