We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

anybody used a steam cleaner

sunnystaines

Likes # 0

looking to get one to give a thorough clean to a new home. been on the karcher web site and they look good just after anyones views who might have used one. the demo veids were on new kitchens etc, not a grubby one.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

thanks, still looking recently got a karcher power washer cleaned up the drive/patio a treat and an old grey looking algae covered fence looks like new brown fence again. my long awaited house move is looking like it might reach an exchange stage and several years of ups and downs and pull outs.

because i have asthma and cats/dust being one of many problems for my asthma I intend to give any new home a though clean. A steam cleaner looks ideal from what i have seen on promotional vids as for carpets still now sure about deep clean or new.

thanks again for tips adive etc

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

How hot is the steam that comes from these devices? Just curious.

WTM

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

As far as I remember, non-pressurised steam can't be hotter than boiling water.

Pressure cooker temperature at plus 1 atmosphere

If it's superheated (click on the video animations), it can be hot enough to roast and bake food, but a cleaning kit won't be that hot.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I have used a Vax carpet cleaner for many years now and find it ideal. I go over any heavily soiled areas first with a good quality "Vax" preparation, but I also use a scrubbing brush to loosen off the fibres as well. Then the normal clean with the Vax does the job very well. Obviously better to do it on a good warm summer's day so the little dampness remaining in the carpet can dry out. I clean mine at least twice a year and it looks as good as new.

The first time I decided it needed cleaning I got a professional (A proper man) bloke/firm to do it and found it was a waste of money so I bought a Vax. No I am not a rep for them. Ever since then I have done it myself. I have also successfully cleaned relatives carpets. If I wasn't so bloody old and useless I would take it up as a business.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

If I wasn't so bloody old and useless I would take it up as a business.

How about as a hobby then?

WTM

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

WTM. I would come and do your for nowt, but after doing my own I am goosed for about three months.

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

Just loaned my 5 year old one out, cant remember the name of it and it came from China It was only £40 inc pp.

Its obsolete now looked it up the other day as my son was wanting one.

I have used it on the click Laminate since I bought it, it dose a good job just dont keep it in the same area for long periods of time a brushing action seems fine.

It uses surprisingly very little water.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

When we last moved some ten years ago we got a firm of house cleaners in give the old house a thorough clean after the furniture had gone. We were too shattered ourselves and compared to the overall cost of the move it was peanuts.

For your move you could consider getting a firm in to do it. It may be cheaper than you think and includes guarantees for damage to carpets, etc.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

Woolwell

we had thought about cleaners but where would you find reliable ones in an area new to you.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Bing.alau book us in for the first week in August, there's a good chap, I'll even provide tea and sticky buns if it is cleaned to my liking ;o}}

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: 30 September marked for unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014